Loss Power To My Outlets. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2010, 10:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Loss power To my Outlets.

Some how today I lost power only to all power outlets in my bathrooms.The lights all work just the outlets have stopped. I have a master bath with two outlets and downstairs bath with 1 outlet and a upstairs jack and jill bath with 2 outlets. Any suggestions to what I may need to do.

Advertisement

imfocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfocused View Post
Some how today I lost power only to all power outlets in my bathrooms.The lights all work just the outlets have stopped. I have a master bath with two outlets and downstairs bath with 1 outlet and a upstairs jack and jill bath with 2 outlets. Any suggestions to what I may need to do.
A) Check the breaker box for a tripped breaker.

B) Check each receptacle, you might have one GFCI receptacle protecting every bathroom receptacle in the house. Check each one for a "Test" and "Reset" button. If you see those buttons, hit the "Reset" button (you might have to press it hard).

Advertisement

Proby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proby View Post
A) Check the breaker box for a tripped breaker.

B) Check each receptacle, you might have one GFCI receptacle protecting every bathroom receptacle in the house. Check each one for a "Test" and "Reset" button. If you see those buttons, hit the "Reset" button (you might have to press it hard).
Thanks for the response man I have actual tried all those things and no power i will go to HD tomorrow and get a meter to test the outlets and wires.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:54 PM   #4
Electrician

Some breakers are hard to tell when they are tripped. First I would "exercise" each breaker (this is good practice to do once a year) and switch them to the OFF position and then back ON. If that hasn't cleared the issue up I would go to the closest bathroom to the panel and pull out the receptacle and look for a loose wire. If you don't see a loose wire, this is where you need to test to see if you get voltage, but be careful because you will have live wires exposed when testing.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:03 AM   #5

ok will do Proby thanks! its just funny how it just started plus I have been noticing that my outlets in the house spark when I plug things in them. could this be the cause of my outlets losing power.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:19 AM   #6
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfocused View Post
plus I have been noticing that my outlets in the house spark when I plug things in them. could this be the cause of my outlets losing power.
That's odd. The only time you should expect an arc is when you unplug a high current drawing device (motor, heater, etc.) without shutting it off first.

Advertisement