Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #1

Share |

Looks like CO Sensor?

I recently moved into a new house and noticed a device up on the ceiling next to my air return grill that looks very different from all the smoke detectors in the house (see attached pictures). There are not markings on this device to indicate what it is nor is the LED on it lit, but there is some writing on the outer ring that just says "TEST" but without a test button like the smoke detectors have. So, what is it, and should the LED be lit? Please excuse my naivety here, but I've never lived in a house with such a device. Thanks in advance, Segal.
Attached Thumbnails
Looks like CO Sensor?-dscn2228.jpg   Looks like CO Sensor?-dscn2227.jpg  

segal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Looks like CO Sensor?

Do you have a security alarm panel in the house? It could be a low-voltage signal to your alarm company that there is a fire in the house.

theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #3

Looks like CO Sensor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatretch85 View Post
Do you have a security alarm panel in the house? It could be a low-voltage signal to your alarm company that there is a fire in the house.
Ahhh... Yes, I do have security system and one of the requirements was that a fire in the house triggers a call to the monitoring company. I just assumed they tied into one of the smoke detectors, but I guess this is what the security company installed. The security system was already installed before I moved in. I wonder if that LED should be lit or not. I'll have to check into it with the alarm company I guess. Thank you for your prompt response
Old 11-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Looks like CO Sensor?

If I had to guess, it is a Heat detector or Photo Electric, not CO.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Looks like CO Sensor?

The LED light is usually not lit during normal operation, it should light up if it has detected the presence of smoke/fire.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theatretch85 For This Useful Post:
segal (11-03-2012)
Old 11-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #6

Looks like CO Sensor?

That area marked test is usually a spot where you put a magnet to trip the device for testing. If you take it down there is probably a label on the bottom that will tell you what exactly it is.
teamo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teamo For This Useful Post:
segal (11-03-2012)
Old 11-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #7

Looks like CO Sensor?

After a little more digging (as a result of the comments- thank you all!), it is indeed a photoelectric smoke detector (made by GE), and it is tied into the alarm panel. The LED is not lit nor does it blink light the other standard smoke detectors throughout the house, but it sounds like this sensor just lights up when in alarm.