Looking To Wire Up A Shed - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Looking to wire up a shed

Built a new shed that is 10x14 and wanted to run this idea by you guys. I envision maybe running a few power tools IE saw etc off the shed but for the most part just needing light (2-3 48" fluorescent fixures using dual 40 watt bulbs) and installing 2 or 3 15 amp outlets just for like I said possible saw or (mostly likely) plugging in the battery charger for the lawn tractor after the winter freeze etc. Shed is about 100-120 ft from the house.

Thinking about running eithor armored 12/2 wire to the shed off a 20 amp breaker or possibly putting down 3/4" PVC conduit (the grey stuff) and running THHN from a junction in the basement from Romex running straight to the main breaker box. Gonna bury the cable or the conduit about 24" deep. Sound plan, or do I need to revise further?

Also, do I need some sorta disconnect at the shed for the power? If so that's easy I can just wire in a heavy light switch and call it done. Thanks guys.

Advertisement

kossuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
Mad Scientist

Rewards Points: 510

We need to know your location to be sure, but what you're thinking sounds good, if that's all the power you think you'll need.

I'd go with #12 THHN in 3/4" or maybe 1" conduit, that way you can upgrade later. I'm a little shaky on voltage drop calculations, but you might want to go up to #10 wire for that distance. That would still be on a 20-amp breaker.

You will need a disconnect at the shed, and that can indeed be a simple 20A light switch. You need to label it as a main disconnect.

All outlets will need to be GFCI protected as well.

Advertisement

McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 252

can't bury ac cable.as long as thhn wire says (labeled)thhn-thwn then you can place it in buried conduit.sinse you are running conduit,run a multi-wire ckt.2 #10 hot's one # 10 neutral and 1 green #10 for ground.put a 30 amp disconnect at shed.from disc go to a 2 space sub panel.then install 2 20amp breakers in subpanel.use 10-3/ground from house panel to junction box,splice to thwn to shed.much better ckt.you will need a two pole breaked in main panel.
oleguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,012

The wire MUST be THWN, not only THHN. Most wire is rated for both, read the lettering on the wire to be sure.

Voltage drop at full 20A load over 120 feet is about 9.2 volts. I'd up-size the wire to #10.

GFCI - not sure if needed. I don't know if inside a shed counts as a wet location. But a good idea even if not required since you will likely put outlets on the exterior of the shed (GFCI definitely required) or you may use tools plugged in inside, but bring them outside with you. I would certainly NOT use a GFCI breaker for this, use a GFCI outlet and chain the rest of the outlets (and lights if you want) off it. This way, if it trips, you don't have to walk into the house.

In most locations, if you DO decide to feed the shed with a gfci breaker (or a gfci outlet in the basement) you only need to bury the conduit 12". But, deeper is better in my opinion. This way if you ever decide to add a subpanel through the existing conduit, it's already deep enough. 3/4" conduit should be fine, but nothing wrong with oversizing.

I have not heard of a disconnect requirement for a shed, but that doesn't mean it isn't true.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
The wire MUST be THWN, not only THHN. Most wire is rated for both, read the lettering on the wire to be sure.

Voltage drop at full 20A load over 120 feet is about 9.2 volts. I'd up-size the wire to #10.

GFCI - not sure if needed. I don't know if inside a shed counts as a wet location. But a good idea even if not required since you will likely put outlets on the exterior of the shed (GFCI definitely required) or you may use tools plugged in inside, but bring them outside with you. I would certainly NOT use a GFCI breaker for this, use a GFCI outlet and chain the rest of the outlets (and lights if you want) off it. This way, if it trips, you don't have to walk into the house.

In most locations, if you DO decide to feed the shed with a gfci breaker (or a gfci outlet in the basement) you only need to bury the conduit 12". But, deeper is better in my opinion. This way if you ever decide to add a subpanel through the existing conduit, it's already deep enough. 3/4" conduit should be fine, but nothing wrong with oversizing.

I have not heard of a disconnect requirement for a shed, but that doesn't mean it isn't true.
disc required per code....gfci required also per code.
oleguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'd also run an extra hot & make it a MWBC with a 20a 240v breaker in the main
That way you have (2) 20a 120v circuits in the shed
---ah--already suggested

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote