Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #1

Share |

Looking to upgrade electrical in Parents house (very old house)

Ok over the course of the next 1.5yrs I am going to upgrade the electrical wiring in my parents house. See right now if we run TV + Computer + AC unit it blows the breaker all the time.

So over the next 1.5yrs I am going to be redoing the electrical

So first off let me tell you what we have right now
1. We have no ground going to any of the outlets.
2. We have replaced some outlets with gfci.
3. We have 2 Circuit boxes.
a. House
b. Garage and Pool

Ok So I dont want to redo the one in the Garage. My father just put that in and it works fine. (usually) See that box is connected to the box in the house and occationally we need to reset the breaker in the house (1 month or less)

He is concerned because he thinks we need to call the electrical company and have them shut off the power in the house then call and electrician to come swap the box then call and get it inspected then turn the power back on.
Ive read online that is states you can actually swap the box and dont need to get the power turned off. You also dont need to get it inspected. You just need a permit. Is this correct?

The part with the box I would have an electrican do but the rest me and my father can accomplish not fairly easily but we can still do it. Mind you we would do it slowly over the course of 1.5yrs.

So my questions are as follows
1. Whats the process to swap out the box (explained earlier)
2. Where can I get good deals on GFCI outlets (I need about 10 more)
3. How much is it going to cost to just swap out the Electrical box (I am trying to keep total cost under 7k)
4. What Gauge wire do I need to use.
a. Can I use different Gauge wire for different rooms (Kitchen pulls more power then back room for instance)
5. Where can I go to find the codes that we need to follow to do this appropriately.

alanwest09872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #2

This will probably get moved to electrical, I know you don't want to hear this but I feel you are in way over your head on this one and need to at least consult an electrician.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #3

Oh some work will be done by an electrician. The only thing we are going to do is run the actuall wires. I am not good with home repair at all But my father is.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

Attempting to change a panel without the power being disconnected by the power company is STUPID. There is just too much chance for a fatal error, even for someone with training and protective equipment.

Yes, permits and inspections are typically needed before the power company will reconnect power.

There are many code requirements for wire sizes, circuitry, AFCI and or GFI protection. You need to be aware of this before you pull the first cable.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #5

Thats why i said i am going to have an electrican install the box
Old 08-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #6

What's the purpose of a permit without an inspection?
diyer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
Common Sense Common Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyer111 View Post
What's the purpose of a permit without an inspection?
In my county, two reasons:

* Collect permitting revenues; and,
* Remind the assessor to come look and see if they need to charge you more property tax

We have permitting without inspection here. County to the west does inspections, county to the east doesn't even have permitting.
flasherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwest09872 View Post
Ok over the course of the next 1.5yrs I am going to upgrade the electrical wiring in my parents house. See right now if we run TV + Computer + AC unit it blows the breaker all the time.

So over the next 1.5yrs I am going to be redoing the electrical

So first off let me tell you what we have right now
1. We have no ground going to any of the outlets.
2. We have replaced some outlets with gfci.
3. We have 2 Circuit boxes.
a. House
b. Garage and Pool

Ok So I dont want to redo the one in the Garage. My father just put that in and it works fine. (usually) See that box is connected to the box in the house and occationally we need to reset the breaker in the house (1 month or less)

He is concerned because he thinks we need to call the electrical company and have them shut off the power in the house then call and electrician to come swap the box then call and get it inspected then turn the power back on.
Ive read online that is states you can actually swap the box and dont need to get the power turned off. You also dont need to get it inspected. You just need a permit. Is this correct?

The part with the box I would have an electrican do but the rest me and my father can accomplish not fairly easily but we can still do it. Mind you we would do it slowly over the course of 1.5yrs.

So my questions are as follows
1. Whats the process to swap out the box (explained earlier)
2. Where can I get good deals on GFCI outlets (I need about 10 more)
3. How much is it going to cost to just swap out the Electrical box (I am trying to keep total cost under 7k)
4. What Gauge wire do I need to use.
a. Can I use different Gauge wire for different rooms (Kitchen pulls more power then back room for instance)
5. Where can I go to find the codes that we need to follow to do this appropriately.
1 - What is the capacity of your main feed and panel ?

2 - The breaker in the house that you are blowing, what size is it,
and how many things are connectted to it ?

3 - What circuit is the shed on, and what's it's capacity ?

dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote