Looking To Splice A 150 Amp Wire Correctly. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2009, 12:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Looking to splice a 150 amp wire correctly.

I currently have a single 150 amp breaker going off from the main power to a sub panel near my garage. I want to tap in to this same wire (so before the sub panel near the garage) and go all the way to the garage to make a separate sub panel for running some of my larger tools. I realize I still have to use 150 Amp capable wire since it would still be running on the same 150 Amp breaker, but what I can't seem to find it any type of system for joining two or more higher amperage cables together. I'm sure stuff like this must exist, but I can't seem to find it. Basically I'm just looking for a T junction that has 4 connector bars in it for screwing aluminium cable in to (2 hots, 1 neutral, and safety). Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Thanks for any help.

-Nebruin

Advertisement

nebruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:35 AM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

google "polaris connector" and remember, all joints must be in a junction box.

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
DIY Apprentice

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebruin View Post
I currently have a single 150 amp breaker going off from the main power to a sub panel near my garage. I want to tap in to this same wire (so before the sub panel near the garage) and go all the way to the garage to make a separate sub panel for running some of my larger tools. I realize I still have to use 150 Amp capable wire since it would still be running on the same 150 Amp breaker, but what I can't seem to find it any type of system for joining two or more higher amperage cables together. I'm sure stuff like this must exist, but I can't seem to find it. Basically I'm just looking for a T junction that has 4 connector bars in it for screwing aluminium cable in to (2 hots, 1 neutral, and safety). Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Thanks for any help.

-Nebruin
Ok, so if i understand this correctly this is what you want below. Red being the new wire and panel. Correct?

Let me ask you this. Why do you want a new panel. Why dont you just run all your tools off the other sub-panel if it's right near the garage. Just install new breakers and wire?

Is your 150A breaker just a disconnect? (In that i mean, there is only one breaker)? Is there room to add more breakers where the 150A breaker is?

I think we can get the job done without having to splice the feed wire. You would have to get like a pull box or something to bury in the ground (or a pedestal) to splice the wire in.

It sounds like you're trying to make the job harder than it is.

Can you take pictures of your existing panels?

tripflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,008

Why tap. Install a 2 pole breaker in the existing panel, and run a new four wire feeder to the new sub.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:20 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

tripflex - Yes this is basically the design I was planning on. The reason I can't easily run any lines off the existing box is that it is inside the main house, the garage doesn't really share a wall I could get to easily, and the existing sub panel box doesn't have the needed connections on it to supply the shop. So running it off the existing one wouldn't really be possible. I was originally going to run a whole new line from the main breaker box, but then I decided it would be much cheaper to tap off the existing line. Otherwise I would need about 150 feet of new line to run it from the existing main breaker.

Thanks.

-Nebruin
nebruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
DIY Apprentice

Quote:
tripflex - Yes this is basically the design I was planning on. The reason I can't easily run any lines off the existing box is that it is inside the main house, the garage doesn't really share a wall I could get to easily, and the existing sub panel box doesn't have the needed connections on it to supply the shop. So running it off the existing one wouldn't really be possible. I was originally going to run a whole new line from the main breaker box, but then I decided it would be much cheaper to tap off the existing line. Otherwise I would need about 150 feet of new line to run it from the existing main breaker.

Thanks.

-Nebruin

Can you take some pictures for me?
tripflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,162

Forget feeder taps. There are far too many codes and rules necessary to easily do this. Besides, HOW are you going to make taps in the middle of a straight run? WHERE are you going to get the slack from to make the splices?
The idea of simply tapping into the middle of a run of wire is quite flawed.

Where is this "main power"? What does it consist of?
If it is only a meter then you have even more issues.

Please let us know more about this situation.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #8

I guess my question would be what is this sub panel for? Can't you put another breaker in the sub-panel to wire the garage? I agree that trying to splice into the existing cable is going to give you trouble, is it buried? This should be a single 0 cable and you will need a junction box etc for it that shouldn't be buried, you'd probably need a concrete access pit to the JB if you went that way, plus you would have no slack to work with.

How many amps do you REALLY need in the garage? If you have a total of 150A for the whole property, including the house and whatever this sub-panel is for how much juice do you really have left? You may find that if you want say 60A for the garage, doing a complete run of #6 from your main to the garage is actually cheaper than the shorter run of single 0. My direct burial #6 was about $13/m I think. Single 0 will be much more, especially if you want to use a 3 conductor instead of just black wire.
Salem747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:28 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

I agree with Snoopy (Speedy Petey).
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:43 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,008

Quote:
tripflex - The reason I can't easily run any lines off the existing box is that it is inside the main house, the garage doesn't really share a wall I could get to easily, and the existing sub panel box doesn't have the needed connections on it to supply the shop.

Do you have two spare slots for a two pole breaker in this existing panel? If you do not have room, you can make room in most circumstances. What "needed" connections. I think you may be in over your head.

So running it off the existing one wouldn't really be possible. I was originally going to run a whole new line from the main breaker box, but then I decided it would be much cheaper to tap off the existing line. Otherwise I would need about 150 feet of new line to run it from the existing main breaker.

Thanks.

-Nebruin
Yes it is possible, and if you hired an electrician that is what he would do. He would run a "new line" as you call it, from the existing sub panel or main service panel to the new sub panel. If you cannot afford to do this right, why are you doing it at all? I sure hope you pulled a permit for this job. If you do not listen here, you might listen to your inspector.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
I want to tap in to this same wire (so before the sub panel near the garage) and go all the way to the garage to make a separate sub panel for running some of my larger tools
Bad idea. It's not any more difficult to just do it correctly. Install another breaker and run a separate circuit. It doesn't have to be a 150 amp circuit.

Advertisement

220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote