Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #1

Share |

Looking for a special light switch for task lighting

I am re-wiring my kitchen to have a main light and a pot light which are controlled by two 3-way switches. I would like the pot light to have an additional switch so I can have it turned off when I am not using it, but still be on the power provided by the 3-way switches. I realize this means the pot light can't be used when the kitchen light is off.

Is there a switch which will go the additional step, and always default to off (turn kitchen light off, pot light turns off. Turn kitchen light on, pot light stays off until pot light switch is activated)?

shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazapple View Post
I am re-wiring my kitchen to have a main light and a pot light which are controlled by two 3-way switches. I would like the pot light to have an additional switch so I can have it turned off when I am not using it, but still be on the power provided by the 3-way switches. I realize this means the pot light can't be used when the kitchen light is off.
A regular switch will be fine.
The job is getting the "switch leg" wire from where you have the switch box mounted up to the ceiling where the pot light is. At that point all you have to do is "break" the hot wire that works with the other light.

hth

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

Run a switch from the pot light to the new switch location and add a single pole timer.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
Old 01-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #4

The whole kitchen is torn out, so it won't be any problem to wire it up. If I can't find something I'll put in a normal switch, but wont default to off. I don't think a timer would work, since there is not guarantee it would stay on while you are working under the pot light.

You see these types of setups in cars a lot (heated seats, fog lights, etc). You turn them on while the car is on but the next time you start the car they are shut off again.
shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote