Looking For Some Assistance. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Looking for some assistance.

I'm trying to figure out how to get power to a shop that I have built, so I came here looking for some help/guidance. I will try to give you guys as much info as I can. My setup currently consist of a 400amp transformer on the pole, running down into a 200amp panel also on the pole. Then ran underground about 60 feet to my house, where there is another 200 amp panel in my utility room. My main question is it possible to run another 100 amp subpanel to my shop through the panel that is out on my utility pole? Or is my only option to have another meter loop installed with a separate 200amp panel? Let me know if I need to give more info to help get my question answered. Thanks in advance. -Matt

here is a pic of how the panel is setup on the utility pole.

Advertisement

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

You may have to have another meter installed, just depends on your utility, since everyone of them are different. If going from house to shop, I would be concerned with voltage drop, depending on what machinery or tools you will be using out there. I take it that the first 200 amp panel, is just the main disconnect, with the meter in it.

Advertisement

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You may have to have another meter installed, just depends on your utility, since everyone of them are different. If going from house to shop, I would be concerned with voltage drop, depending on what machinery or tools you will be using out there. I take it that the first 200 amp panel, is just the main disconnect, with the meter in it.
I would like to get power directly from the pole outside, and not deal with the house wiring at all. But i'm thinking that I need to pull too many amps to be able to use my existing 200amp service. I have a small powder coating business, and my oven needs about 50amps alone, combine that with my 5hp air compressor, dust collector system, lights, and misc. shop tools, not looking too good. My shop is about 100ft from the main utility pole.
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

If it was me, I would go from the transformer to the shop also. That is just my thought on your set up. Only drawback is, that you will need a meter at the shop also.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Last year I was in the same boat as you. I built a detached garage and had the option of tieing from the house service back to the detached, or run a seperate service from the outsie padmount transformer directly to the new detached garage. We went with the new service directly to the detached.

Id recommend the same idea. If youre running a business it makes keeping your utility records a lot easier if theres seperate bills. You will have to pay an extra meter charge, but aside from that, its better to keep the two systems seperate. Another benefit of seperate is that if you blow the business power, your house keeps going, and vice versa.

I think you should call up your local utility and have them give you options for a seperate service from the padmount (outside transformer) to your shop, or from your house. Other then saving the cost of an additional meter charge, which isnt much, I cant think of any benefit of having it tied back to your house power.
Wiscbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

You have what is commonly called a "feed-through" panel out on the pole. There are 8 spaces for future circuits provided.

Simply install a 100 Amp plug-in breaker into that panel, and run your line to the shop from there.

No need for any additional meter, etc. You already have everything you need in place.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kbsparky For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (09-02-2011)
Old 09-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #7
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,162

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
You have what is commonly called a "feed-through" panel out on the pole. There are 8 spaces for future circuits provided.

Simply install a 100 Amp plug-in breaker into that panel, and run your line to the shop from there.

No need for any additional meter, etc. You already have everything you need in place.
Agree. You have the perfect setup to do exactly what you propose.

Advertisement

Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote