Looking For A Good Multimeter? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2008, 10:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Looking for a good multimeter?

Looing for people's recommendations for a multimeter. I don't need the best one in the world and I'm not a electrician so it doesn't get used everyday but I always do overbuy, I like nice stuff LOL!

I think I'd like an autosensing unit unless they are costly.

Advertisement

Last edited by imola ghost; 09-01-2008 at 10:22 PM.
imola ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:23 PM   #2

What do ya think of this one?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1x000001&aff=Y

Advertisement

Old 09-01-2008, 10:35 PM   #3
Genius (Self Certified)

Rewards Points: 10

Which one you choose depends mostly on what you intend to do with it.
I find it hard to recommend anything but Fluke simply for the safety factor. If your wanting it for projects around the house, a Fluke 114 may be perfect and you can catch it on sale at Sears for just under $100.

Give us a little detail on what you need it for.
jdkasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:56 AM   #4

I like the features of the Craftsman especially the laser thermometer. I just want one that I can experiment with and the more features the better.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:33 AM   #5
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 500

If you're a HO and your primary use will be to tell if there's voltage present or not, I'd highly recommend a wiggy.

http://www.us.schneider-electric.com...file/wiggy.htm

These are very rugged and no-nonsense. In addition, they will not report phantom/false voltages on open circuits (which is an oft-discussed issue on this site).
Old 09-02-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
Advice worth 2 cents!

A wiggy? no way!

Buy a DVM and have fun with it! Personally, I love Fluke products but your Crafstman model looks pretty OK too (for the bucks).

The first thing you need to learn is Ohm's Law and how simple DC circuits work. After a bit a practice, you can ask a few questions about AC and learn what the differences are.

good luck...

oh..if you really want a "wiggy" I'll sell you mine for the cost of shipping.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:49 PM   #7
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyPete View Post
A wiggy? no way!
I have all the test equipment that any electrical nerd would want but the point is, most HO's/DIYers would rarely need more than what you get out of a wiggy. I mean, I haven't see to many DIYers needing to measure capacitance or dBm. No need to use a Tek scope to determine if the circuit's dead!

In re-reading, it seems that the OP is looking for the most bells and whistles and therein a DVM is the ticket. Fluke meters seem to be the defacto standard in the electrical business. I bought my Amprobe meter about 17 years ago and it is more than comparable to a Fluke 87. With Fluke, you are paying for the brand. Not that they aren't good meters but IMO, you can pay less and get the same features/quality.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:17 PM   #8
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 1,062

I don't know how many times I've used my wiggy to prove that a circuit is actually dead when a DMM showed it hot. To be useful, the wiggy must be the solenoid type, not electronic.

The reason being that a solenoid type wiggy will load the circuit just a bit, and cancel out the effects of capacitive coupling. A DMM, with its 11 megohm or so impedance, will see any induced voltage as actual power when if fact it is only a phantom voltage.

Rob
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:43 PM   #9
electrician

Rewards Points: 250

[quote=HandyPete;154322]A wiggy? no way![quote]

Yeah Right, you're going to talk the guy into a Fluke and the next post is going to be:

How come on my 3 way circuit the one traveler has 121 volts and the other traveler has 112 volts, isn't one supposed to be zero?

I can see it coming already

Last edited by Silk; 09-03-2008 at 06:20 AM.
Silk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:25 AM   #10
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Silk and Rob-

This is exactly what I mean!

Rob-

The only kind of wiggy that I've ever used was the solenoid type (in fact, I didn't even know that an electronic version existed). And I like them for the very reason you say: they load the circuit. I don't know how many times I was called out to the field because a signal maintainer had another instance where the voltage was there but the relay wouldn't pick. I'd pull out a test light (12V incand. light with a couple of alligator leads) and put it across the coil. No light. I've had to explain a zillion times the concept of high input impedances and how those test devices can lie. Most people laugh at me when I pull out my old Simpson analog meter but there are times when it makes waaaay more sense to use it instead of my bells-and-whistles DVM.

Silk-

I've learned to bypass those posts anymore!

Jimmy

Last edited by BigJimmy; 09-03-2008 at 03:41 PM. Reason: spelling
BigJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:06 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,008

And then we find out he reading millivolts not volts. I'm with Jimmy. Get a Wiggy!
I sure am glad Youisit has not addressed this thread. The OP would end up with a Techtronics O scope.....lol
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:42 PM   #12
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
And then we find out he reading millivolts not volts.
As one signal helper referred to them, metricvolts.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #13
electrician

Rewards Points: 250

A good way to tell the difference between an electrician and an instrumentation or maintenance technician is to look at their meters.

The Instrumentation/maintenance tech will be carrying a Fluke 87 in a nice little carrying case along with a second carrying case full of leads and clips.

Now an Electrician will come along with an old beat up Wiggy (or in my case a Vol-con) hanging out of his back pocket and have the problem fixed and be back to his coffee cup before the instrument/maintenance tech has gotten both his cases unzipped and the probes plugged in.

Always bet on the guy carrying a wiggy, he knows what he's doing, the rest are just posing
Silk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:10 PM   #14
Floor Sweeper

Rewards Points: 252

The thing I like about a wiggy type tester is that it tells you a few different ways if you have power or not. In addition to the pointer, it buzzes, you can feel it vibrate in your hand, and most have a neon light.

For a rugged tester, they are quite inexpensive.
junkcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:33 PM   #15
Genius (Self Certified)

Rewards Points: 10

I have a Fluke 189 that rarely leaves my office but I never go anywhere without my 1AC-II. Around the house it's an old 79-II and a 322 clamp.

Back to the original question if imola ghost is still around. The craftsman will do everything you want it to and more. Have fun learning.

Here are a couple of links to help you stay alive....

http://www.fluke.com/download/library/1263690_w.pdf

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_3/9.html

Advertisement

jdkasper is offline   Reply With Quote