DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

looking for a gizmo! portable generator use

4K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  VelvetFoot 
#1 ·
Hi friend asked me to come take a look at his setup for supplying elelctricty during power outage. Just speaking with him he said if wasn't "tied in" or automatic. He has to start up generator after he disconnects main breaker at service panel. He is interested in being able to tell when elecric service is turned back on so he can turn off generator and go back on utility power. I said there is probably a better way to handle the this but there must be something simple that would show when power is restored to house LED at main? or something to show voltage at service panel before breaker?? Any suggestions?

thanks

Walt

#8 ·
Thanks all, Velvetfoot that is exactly what I was thinking too. I just wondered if there was anything more "sophisticated"? How do you keep it from sensing the generator voltage? when you are trying to only sense the utility power??
I will check and see if he does have the lock out described. I don't thing so cause he didn't mention that there was anything stopping him from sending generator power through the panel and back throught the meter and causing harm to people working on lines.

We live in a heavily wooded community of roughly 60 home sites (5 acres or so each) with only 5 homes built or under construction. Most of these are weekend homes only two full time residents. we do not see anything except the moon and stars at night and that is why we all bought here. So only thing I could do is tell the neighbor to go out in the storm and see if the little light is on at the meter about 150 feet away from his house on a pole before it goes underground and into his house. Hoping for something better. Some how this all passed the electrical inspection ( not that this makes me feel any better, I did recently post a concern about them using 14g wire on 20A circuit breaker protected lighting circuits in my brand new construction but it appears it is "acceptable" down here??. But I will know more once I do get to see the setup in person.

thanks again for the suggestions and the quick response.

Walt

#12 ·
Thanks all, Velvetfoot that is exactly what I was thinking too. I just wondered if there was anything more "sophisticated"? How do you keep it from sensing the generator voltage? when you are trying to only sense the utility power??
I will check and see if he does have the lock out described. I don't thing so cause he didn't mention that there was anything stopping him from sending generator power through the panel and back throught the meter and causing harm to people working on lines or his neighbors.

We live in a heavily wooded community of roughly 60 home sites (5 acres or so each) with only 5 homes built or under construction. Most of these are weekend homes only two full time residents. we do not see anything except the moon and stars at night and that is why we all bought here. So only thing I could do is tell the neighbor to go out in the storm and see if the little light is on at the meter about 150 feet away from his house on a pole before it goes underground and into his house. Hoping for something better. Some how this all passed the electrical inspection ( not that this makes me feel any better, I did recently post a concern about them using 14g wire on 20A circuit breaker protected lighting circuits in my brand new construction but it appears it is "acceptable" down here??. But I will know more once I do get to see the setup in person.

thanks again for the suggestions and the quick response.

Walt
Where do you live?

#11 ·
I hope your friend is filthy rich. If he's caught, it's a FIFTEEN THOUSAND dollar fine!!!
(not to mention possible injury to a lineman.)

I got around this problem cheaply, WITHOUT buying a lockout, OR an expensive transfer switch!
I simply ran a string of outlets down the middle of the house that is NOT on the grid at all!
They are powered ONLY by the generator and are normally 'dead' except when the generator is running.
When the power goes out, (a couple of times a year out here in the styx) we just leave one overhead light on (in the living room, normally) and when the lights come back, we go turn off the generator and swap a few plugs. I spray-painted all of the outlet covers for this system Flo. Orange so we can tell the difference easily.

Hope this helps.

DM

#14 ·
interlockkit.com is a ripoff, Square D, Siemens and GE all make interlock kits for their respective boxes, and.... they don't look nearly as stupid as the one scuba posted. and they are less than half the price, I paid 100 bucks for 2 interlocks from Square D and I've seen Siemens selling for 30 bucks

#19 ·
Personally I'd go for a whole house transfer switch. If the generator can't handle everything, just don't use it when the power is out! Shut off all breakers but ones you need. Don't use the stove etc.

As for an indicator, you could have one circuit that is not powered by the generator and have a radio or siren hooked up to it. Turn it on after you go start the generator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.