Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #1

Share |

Looking for fluorescent strip lights for garage. Best brand?

I'm looking to add some lighting in my garage and would light to get some good ones. The main thing I'm looking for are listed.

no hum
no RFI this seems to be a big problem with most
0 degree start
UL listed for damp locations
IC rated
T8 or maybe T5
8 ft fixture with 4 4ft bulbs
reflectors needed is mirror ones worth the extra cash?
High output ballasts

Any suggestion on brand would be grate

Last edited by rodm1; 02-09-2012 at 06:15 PM.
rodm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:05 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodm1 View Post
I'm looking to add some lighting in my garage and would light to get some good ones. The main thing I'm looking for are listed.

no hum
no RFI this seems to be a big problem with most
0 degree start
UL listed for damp locations
IC rated
T8 or maybe T5
8 ft fixture with 4 4ft bulbs
reflectors needed is mirror ones worth the extra cash?
High output ballasts

Any suggestion on brand would be grate
For today, and everything made cheaply, you are close to asking the impossible for a fluorescent light. I bought a few cheap $40 ones from HomeDepot a while back. They have held up, but severely underpower the bulbs, along with having alot of RF intereference with radio, wi-fi, and phones.

Look online for some good lights, or go to an electrical supply warehouse. Just note, that warehouse's may require orders in large lots in some cases. DIY stores do not carry good lights. The ballasts inside them today are junk. For reliability, you would be better off getting some old T12 magnetic fluorescents used from a garage sale for cheap. Although, not the best at energy saving, and they are discontinuing T12's, they are still the most reliable that will last a long time if you replace dead bulbs once every 5 years. They don't meet most of the requirements you want/need, but they'll actually last and won't burn out within a month. I think the biggest thing would be they need it 50*F or warmer for magnetic T12 to start.

Last edited by seansy59; 02-11-2012 at 08:07 AM.
seansy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #3

4 ft. t8 wrap around fixtures. New .Magnetic ballasts buzz.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
BIGRED

Here's a semi-offbeat idea. With the advent of LEDs you can now get what appear to be flourescent tubes in 2'-3'-4'-5' and 8' T5/T8 bi-pin tubes. They work in existing single or multi-tube fixtures providing you remove the fixture ballast and throw it away. You do need to wire all the wires going to one end set of tube sockets together and then to either the hot or nuetral line to the fixture. The other end of the fixture has to be wired to the opposite incoming wire. With no ballast, you eliminate the RFI and fixture hum AND the 20 watts of power consumed by the ballast itself.
Now instead of eyestrain from light flicker and RFI and fixture hum and burning 100 watts of AC power for each twin tube 4' fixture you can burn 30 watts of AC power in that same fixture and get the same light output (lumens) or better with LEDs. The LEDs are instant on in the damp of a garage as low as -20F on up to about +120F. The tubes are unbreakable if dropped, have no mercury, and need no special disposal when or if they fail. There are standard versions in warm white and daylight white and even cool white, but those tend to be slightly blue in color. The standard 4' 15w T5/T8 LED tube puts out 1500 lumens up to around 1900 lumens. The standard flourescent 32-40w tube puts out 1400-1500 lumens. The LEDs last a lot longer also. The flourescent tubes will last around two years if left on for 8 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. The same tube in LEDs used the same way will last OVER 17 years. Here's the kicker. The lowest price I have been able to find on a "per ea." price for a 15w, 4', T5/T8 LED tube is $60.00. You can buy them by the case and get a lower price, but can you afford to kick out $1200 at a pop??.
Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansy59 View Post
For today, and everything made cheaply, you are close to asking the impossible for a fluorescent light. I bought a few cheap $40 ones from HomeDepot a while back. They have held up, but severely underpower the bulbs, along with having alot of RF intereference with radio, wi-fi, and phones.

Look online for some good lights, or go to an electrical supply warehouse. Just note, that warehouse's may require orders in large lots in some cases. DIY stores do not carry good lights. The ballasts inside them today are junk. For reliability, you would be better off getting some old T12 magnetic fluorescents used from a garage sale for cheap. Although, not the best at energy saving, and they are discontinuing T12's, they are still the most reliable that will last a long time if you replace dead bulbs once every 5 years. They don't meet most of the requirements you want/need, but they'll actually last and won't burn out within a month. I think the biggest thing would be they need it 50*F or warmer for magnetic T12 to start.
I 100% disagree. I recently bought 4 lamp T-8 bulb 8' fixtures at Home Depot. Thee are from Lithonia Lighting. I also purchaased the Phillips lamps form Home Depot. Very bright, low temperature start and completely noiseless. Electronic ballasts are quiet unlieke the magnetic ones. And I didn't just get lucky with this installation, I have been installing flourescent fixtures for 30+ years. Electronic ballasts are the ONLY way to go, and so far T-8 are the best and most economical. T-5's are brighter per watt, but considerably more expensive regarding ballasts and lamps.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
I 100% disagree. I recently bought 4 lamp T-8 bulb 8' fixtures at Home Depot. Thee are from Lithonia Lighting. I also purchaased the Phillips lamps form Home Depot. Very bright, low temperature start and completely noiseless. Electronic ballasts are quiet unlieke the magnetic ones. And I didn't just get lucky with this installation, I have been installing flourescent fixtures for 30+ years. Electronic ballasts are the ONLY way to go, and so far T-8 are the best and most economical. T-5's are brighter per watt, but considerably more expensive regarding ballasts and lamps.

Well. Mine are still going after about 2 years, and I'm going to use them till the ballasts die. The first one I bought was dead/dud........got a replacement, that one only lit up 2 of the 4 bulbs, wiring was fine along with the bulbs.......finally got all 3 fixtures to work after 2 exchanges. One of the fixtures have a different ballast in them then the other 2 when I exchanged it. Same model fixture, same price/design, just a different ballast the company installed.

They are bright, but compared to another simliar striplight I got, which is a T8 full power factor ballast and a different brand (GE), it is very dim...not a problem though since they are still bright enough to do the job of a small room I have.

The only big problem is RF interference. I can't listen to the radio with any of them on. Battery operated radio, plug in radio, cell phone, and even my wi-fi is affected slightly when they are on. Never used to have a problem with my older F40-T12 shoplights except for a bit of hum from the ballast which I didn't mind. I still have them, and will put them back up when/if the new ones fail.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

What are you going to be doing in the garage?
Ive found that mounting fl fixtures around 5' off the ground along front of garage works really good if you spend a lot of time under the hood of a car,you can wire them seperately from your ceiling fixtures
Old 02-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #8

[Accidental post]
Old 02-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
What are you going to be doing in the garage?
I've found that mounting fl fixtures around 5' off the ground along front of garage works really good if you spend a lot of time under the hood of a car,you can wire them separately from your ceiling fixtures

I will be doing a little of everything in there. Looking around at Grainger, MSC, MC, Fastenel, HD, Menards it looks like they all carry a small selection of what I'm looking for with no stock. Except HD they have stock and the ballast gets glowing reviews. I think I might give them a try and hope for the best.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=41230

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ec...&storeId=10051

Last edited by rodm1; 02-11-2012 at 02:22 PM.
rodm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Well. Mine are still going after about 2 years, and I'm going to use them till the ballasts die. The first one I bought was dead/dud........got a replacement, that one only lit up 2 of the 4 bulbs, wiring was fine along with the bulbs.......finally got all 3 fixtures to work after 2 exchanges. One of the fixtures have a different ballast in them then the other 2 when I exchanged it. Same model fixture, same price/design, just a different ballast the company installed.

They are bright, but compared to another simliar striplight I got, which is a T8 full power factor ballast and a different brand (GE), it is very dim...not a problem though since they are still bright enough to do the job of a small room I have.

The only big problem is RF interference. I can't listen to the radio with any of them on. Battery operated radio, plug in radio, cell phone, and even my wi-fi is affected slightly when they are on. Never used to have a problem with my older F40-T12 shoplights except for a bit of hum from the ballast which I didn't mind. I still have them, and will put them back up when/if the new ones fail.
The magnetic ballasts create noise more often then not, but the electronics should not. Which type of fixture do you have? Are you sure you are using the correct bulbs (sorry, but it's not a stupid question) Noise, short lamp or ballast life and dimness are often related to two things...#1 wrong bulb(s) and #2 poor or lack of grounding connection.
You certainly have something wrong, and you are the exception. We've had 6000 fixtures (yes 6000) in several of our buildings and what you describe just isn't happening for us. You certainly could have had a bad bunch of fixtures, or lamps...it does happen....but it's very unlikely.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
The magnetic ballasts create noise more often then not, but the electronics should not. Which type of fixture do you have? Are you sure you are using the correct bulbs (sorry, but it's not a stupid question) Noise, short lamp or ballast life and dimness are often related to two things...#1 wrong bulb(s) and #2 poor or lack of grounding connection.
You certainly have something wrong, and you are the exception. We've had 6000 fixtures (yes 6000) in several of our buildings and what you describe just isn't happening for us. You certainly could have had a bad bunch of fixtures, or lamps...it does happen....but it's very unlikely.

Yes, I was using the right bulbs! I've seen/heard of that before. But I was using the regular F32-T8's recommended. I even used 2 different brands and multiple new tubes to make sure they weren't the problem.

The grounding was fine. They were wired to plug in (similar to swag wiring a chandelier) since there is no ceiling wiring. They were wired correctly with 16/3 SJOOW wire, grounded 15a plugs, and the outlets were grounded correctly and measure 119 volts each.

When I returned the light the second time, the lady at returns desk said this. "Wow, we certainly are getting alot of returns and exchanges for this, we had 4 customers already exchange this one type of fixture within the last month, I'm going to have management contact Lithonia".
Old 02-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #12
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Quote:
Yes, I was using the right bulbs! I've seen/heard of that before. But I was using the regular F32-T8's recommended. I even used 2 different brands and multiple new tubes to make sure they weren't the problem.

The grounding was fine. They were wired to plug in (similar to swag wiring a chandelier) since there is no ceiling wiring. They were wired correctly with 16/3 SJOOW wire, grounded 15a plugs, and the outlets were grounded correctly and measure 119 volts each.

When I returned the light the second time, the lady at returns desk said this. "Wow, we certainly are getting alot of returns and exchanges for this, we had 4 customers already exchange this one type of fixture within the last month, I'm going to have management contact Lithonia".
My first response to her would have been why are you still selling them then?