Looking For Electrically Controlled Valve For Drinking Water - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
unicornforge's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Near Gettysburg
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

Looking for electrically controlled valve for drinking water

I am looking for a cold water valve that can be electrically controlled on a standard 120 AC circuit or DC batteries. Components would need to be intended for outside use. I would appreciate knowing the correct name/terminology for finding/ordering one, as well as suggestions on where I could find one.

I would like to be able to attach a motion sensor to control a water valve outside the house so that drinking water turns on when the sensor is approached by a dog. Currently the only available motion controlled drinking fountain available for sale has a reputation for not being dependable, so I would like to make my own DIY dependable dog watering fountain.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.


unicornforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,772
Rewards Points: 204

It is called a solenoid and can be purchased from any commercial/industrial supply house. Like Grainger. You order the solenoid with the coil voltage you want and the NPT pipe size you want to use. Very simple. Google "solenoid" and you will see.


J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
unicornforge's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Near Gettysburg
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

I am having difficulty wading through the numerous search results for "solenoid", even when I limit the search to water/liquids. The various sellers assume that folks already know about the various types of solenoids and their usage and compatible valving and application details. Solenoids are in vehicles, pneumatic and just about anything else that has a electronic control.

Is there anything that I can read to understand what is in the search results for solenoids where the search result is limited to drinking water systems ? Especially what valving is compatible with each type of solenoid?

Sorry, but I can't decipher the descriptions of the items provided by vendors of solenoids for drinking water systems.
unicornforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 3,035
Rewards Points: 2,970

Use a sprinkler valve. They are cheap and every home improvement store sells them. You'll need a 24VAC transformer to power it (also sold by the same stores for sprinkler systems).
I am a lawyer, but not your lawyer. And who cares anyways? We're here to talk construction. This is DIY advice, not legal advice.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 851
Rewards Points: 744

and then wire in a passive infrared motion detector.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 191
Rewards Points: 161

You might also try a floor pressure switch or switch mat vice a motion sensor to trigger the solenoid. When the dog steps on it it starts the flow of water.

Last edited by diystephen; 12-27-2012 at 01:15 PM.
diystephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor
rrolleston's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Granville, NY
Posts: 1,972
Rewards Points: 1,012
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

buy a cheap motion detector flood light take the motion detector part and wire it up to a 120v solenoid and make sure you have GFCI protection.
With Electricity there is the right way to do it and the dead way. Just because it works does not make it safe.
rrolleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada (s/w ON.)
Posts: 2,294
Rewards Points: 1,000

The are a myriad of different solenoid controlled valves available. Plumbing supply shops will have them available.

eg. https://www.google.ca/search?q=solen...w=1440&bih=722
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
dmxtothemax's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia.
Posts: 4,269
Rewards Points: 5,496

Go and visit an irrigation supply house.
There are many types of solinoid valves available,
Which one depends on pressure and what plumbing
fittings you want to use.
I am sure that if you explain it to them they will
advise you on what to use.

simplist is to use a motion sensor a suitable wall wart
and a suitable valve.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:13 AM   #10
Oso954's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Calif.
Posts: 4,729
Rewards Points: 1,310

Go to a pet supply, buy a Lixit, and be done with it.
It is mechanical rather than electric, but it works well.


Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rumbling pipes and leaking pressure relief valve rogerwright Plumbing 21 04-14-2012 02:35 PM
Sizing a dual shut off valve for a water line to fridge ericman Plumbing 10 08-19-2011 09:47 PM
Water valve will not shut off smcpherson Appliances 2 05-18-2011 09:55 PM
Need advice RE: purging air from baseboard hot water heating system mikenri HVAC 2 01-19-2011 07:17 PM
Replacing Dishwasher - Water Valve Help? BCreed025 Plumbing 1 07-26-2010 04:01 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1