Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2008, 12:10 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Lonicera
Share |

Looking for a book on basic wiring

I am building a 16x24 cabin. Can anyone suggest a book title that would allow me to do some of the grunt work, before I am at the stage where I need a licensed electrician?

Lonicera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
When is fishing season?

Chances are you are going to need a licensed electrician from the get go. Most will not approve of "grunt" work being done without then spelling out how they would like it.

However, you may be able to find one that would be willing to let you do some of the drilling, wire pulling, etc under their direction.

Remember, when a licensed electrician puts their name and license on a job, they are responsible for the job.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
Res Ipsa Loquitur

I would check and see what is required in your area. In my town I am allowed to do almost 100% of my electrical work ON MY OWN HOME. This would require permits and an electrical inspection but would not need any intervention by a licensed electrician.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:03 PM   #4

There are MANY books out there...the best thing for you to do is hit your local library. I started with a couple of basic books and quickly found that for our area (only residential wiring), there are many basic rules, but for me, since I don't wire daily, all I really ended up needing was the basic schematics for some switch wiring. If I can locate the name of the book I'll post it later.

One more thing...if you're in an area that needs to be inspected, you may want to call the inspector early on...and get a read on their personality type and ask what they like and expect along the way. It's way easier to have them on your side as you move the project along.

Last edited by RippySkippy; 04-04-2008 at 03:07 PM.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
When is fishing season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippySkippy View Post
There are MANY books out there...the best thing for you to do is hit your local library. I started with a couple of basic books and quickly found that for our area (only residential wiring), there are many basic rules, but for me, since I don't wire daily, all I really ended up needing was the basic schematics for some switch wiring. If I can locate the name of the book I'll post it later.

One more thing...if you're in an area that needs to be inspected, you may want to call the inspector early on...and get a read on their personality type and ask what they like and expect along the way. It's way easier to have them on your side as you move the project along.
That is great advice. In my experience (which ain't much, but I have dealt with several different inspectors) no 2 are the same. Granted, they all follow the same code (barring any local adjustments) but they all have different personalities.

BTW, Wiring Simplified is a pretty decent book, as is HD's Wiring 1-2-3.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:22 PM   #6
Licensed Pro

Wiring a House by Rex Cauldwell
Old 04-04-2008, 05:28 PM   #7
Floor Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseHelper View Post
Wiring a House by Rex Cauldwell

I would try and find books that were actually written by someone in the business (like "Wiring a House"), rather than one by a bunch of brainless editors. I have noticed a lot of errors made on the theory aspect of electricity in those books. (also code violations!) Sometimes even the pictures can be misleading.
junkcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:46 PM   #8
Master Of Nothing

I have had good luck with the book I bought at HD. Its put out by black and decker. It doesn't go into great detail with codes, but it does show a lot. I wired up my garage and workshop using it. AND of course help from this forum!!

Its really a good book IMO. great diagrams. You can flip through it before you guy it. HD all over the place sells it. Black and Decker complete Home Wiring.

Mike
Old 04-08-2008, 10:39 AM   #9
Learning by Doing

Check out reviews of books about wiring.
FYI: reviews of electrical DIY books