Long Winded Electrical Question - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2014, 08:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Long winded electrical question

Hi, this is my first post on here, and let me start that I know "nothing" about electricity...however, I consider myself rather frugal, better yet, downright cheap when it comes to replacing things without at least trying to fix them before sending it off to the curb for garbage. Okay, not that that is out of the way.
I have one of those Coleman coolers, that plug into a 12v cigarette lighter in the car, as well as into another gizmo that I can plug the cigarette lighter into, that then plugs into a normal house electrical outlet.
I lent the cooler to some friends, and apparently something went wrong somehow, and the male part of the 12v cigarette lighter, overheated and melted it, and the wire from this cigarette lighter is plugged into the cooler somewhere, so I can't get access at it or replace it with another....Coleman have already confirmed that they do not sell that part of the unit....(which I can't show you because I need 5 posts to be able to attach a link to your website.)...but you can google it.
Roadpro 12V Fused Replacement Cigarette Lighter Plug with Leads

So I am purchasing this, and am awaiting it to arrive via UPS.
with hopes of cutting off the melted cigarette light portion, and attaching this to the wire, that goes to the inside of the cooler somewhere. My question is this, I notice when I cut off the melted male cigarette lighter, and removed the rubber sheathing from the 2 wires, that there is no RED or BLACK or any other color to tell me which wire is the positive and which one is the negative...just the black sheathing, then the bare wires. As you can see on the plug that I am purchasing, one is RED, and the other BLACK. The cigarette lighter thing I removed has a fuse in it, (I think a 7.5 amp) and the new one has I think a 10 amp fuse, but not 100% sure of that.
I also wanted to see if the cooler fan would still work, so I "tried" plugging the 2 bare wires that I unsheathed, into a house outlet....got a lot of sparks, so decided maybe I was literally playing with fire here, and could end up doing more damage to the motor and fan than anything else. I then tried placing same bare wires on a 12v battery, but that did nothing at all. (like I said, I know "nothing" about electrical) and I think you must realize by what I have written, I tell no lie lol. I just don't feel like forking over another 100 bucks + for another cooler, when "maybe" I can salvage this one, which is not a thing we use very often. So do you think this is repairable, or did I just blow away $20.00 bucks for nothing ? Thanks for any help you guru's may have...and again, my first post, so please be nice to me
Later,
Ray

Advertisement

Mooseville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,354

When you plugged the 12 volt cooler into 120 you let the magic smoke out. Trash it.

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
brric (06-15-2014), de-nagorg (06-15-2014), mpoulton (06-17-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 08:52 PM   #3
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,206

By connecting a 12 volt DC device into a 120 AC volt outlet you probably fried the device. Otherwise, the wire with the fuse is probably the wire t connect to the red wire.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,448

The Coleman coolers have been notorious for the cord end that connects to the female end on the cooler, to fail. Toss it and get a new cooler.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 1,058

If the cooler was connected to 120 AC, it is destroyed.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,218

Too late now that the smoke has escaped, but the cord should have a ribbed one and a smooth one, I think that the ribbed one is the positive side or the hot if you prefer, also as stated the one with the fusible link.

But that genie got away I am sorry to say.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:31 PM   #7

Oooook...BUT...for future reference...how could I have told the difference between the positive and negative wires from the cooler wire that I cut ??
Old 06-16-2014, 12:30 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
Too late now that the smoke has escaped, but the cord should have a ribbed one and a smooth one, I think that the ribbed one is the positive side or the hot if you prefer, also as stated the one with the fusible link.

But that genie got away I am sorry to say.

ED
Actually on the Coleman coolers. You had one side that cooled the cooler inside. Flip the cord where it plugs into the cooler the other way, it heats the plate inside the cooler.

The part that the OP is talking about, is a 120 vAC to 12 vDC Inverter. I have one for the Coleman cooler that we have.

It can be fixed. Since the parts are widely available on Amazon & eBay.com. It just takes someone knowing what they are doing. To fix it. It is really just a diode, Plate and cord. The design was so simple when NASA came out with it. That it cannot be screwed up, when you fix it.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 06-16-2014, 12:33 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

This is every Coleman wiring Schematic available. http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/diagrams/
Old 06-16-2014, 02:04 AM   #10
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
...That it cannot be screwed up, when you fix it.
Oh, you KNOW that won't hold true...
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:09 AM   #11
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseville View Post
Oooook...BUT...for future reference...how could I have told the difference between the positive and negative wires from the cooler wire that I cut ??
You don't cut anything until you've checked either end of it. The tip on the accessory socket plugs is positive, and that's the side that usually has a fuse. the side contacts of the plug are usually the negative side.

You cannot plug a device intended to run off 12 volts DC into a 120 volt AC plug. Doing so will undoubtedly cause the circuits inside the device to pretty much instantly overheat, burst open (letting their 'magic smoke' out) and potentially set the device ON FIRE. If it was marginal before, it's trashed now.

Those coolers are wretchedly inefficient. Better to shell out for a better insulated one like an Igloo MaxCold instead.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:06 AM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,472

The cooler is toast now. When you get a new one. Don't loan it out.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:00 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,218

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
The cooler is toast now. When you get a new one. Don't loan it out.
The best advice of all.

Loan nothing that you ever expect to see again.

And I mean everything.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
The best advice of all.

Loan nothing that you ever expect to see again.

And I mean everything.

ED
Ain't that the truth...
Old 06-16-2014, 09:18 AM   #15

Before I toss the cooler to the road, I will wait and try the 12v cigarette plug I ordered...I really have nothing to lose at this point. If I fried it, so be it, but maybe there's a "slim" chance that I'll get lucky, and I'll be able to recover it. So for attaching the existing wire that is hooked into the cooler (hidden inside)...I'm assuming it makes no difference which wire goes onto the red or black of the new cigarette lighter plug that I ordered ? Is that right ? Thanks for your help (*and patience*) Have a great day.

Advertisement