Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Lockout 240v generator outlet

Hi!

I purchased a generator over the weekend and put a "Reliance 240v inlet" on the house. I'm in the process of wiring it up, just waiting to get the interlock on the circuit breaker panel.

However, I was wondering if there was something I can put on the inlet in the back so that nobody pops it open and gets electrocuted. I would feel more comfortable knowing that there's another line of defense than the circuit being turned off.

Thanks!

wiz561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

If you have an interlock on the panel, then it's impossible to turn that backfeed breaker on while the main is also on. So there's no risk. You do have an interlock, right?

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mpoulton For This Useful Post:
brric (07-01-2012), gregzoll (07-01-2012), Speedy Petey (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #3

I haven't hooked it up to the panel just yet. I ran all the conduit and wires and installed the inlet on the house. I just left the wires in the breaker box until I can finish my project.

I did order an interlock kit for my panel, but I'm just waiting for it to come in. Unfortunately, they don't sell the one I need anywhere around me. This is the reason why I haven't hooked it up yet. I was just asking about it because it would be nice to have a second set of defense in addition to the interlock and breaker. I guess I'm just worried that even with the breaker off, there still may be a chance of something happening. For example, what if the breaker fails? That's my only fear. It's funny how the older you get, the more careful and safer you get.

It would be nice if the inlet box had a lock on it, or you could stick a female to female stub in it, just so that the copper prongs aren't hanging out.

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz561 View Post
I haven't hooked it up to the panel just yet. I ran all the conduit and wires and installed the inlet on the house. I just left the wires in the breaker box until I can finish my project.

I did order an interlock kit for my panel, but I'm just waiting for it to come in. Unfortunately, they don't sell the one I need anywhere around me. This is the reason why I haven't hooked it up yet. I was just asking about it because it would be nice to have a second set of defense in addition to the interlock and breaker. I guess I'm just worried that even with the breaker off, there still may be a chance of something happening. For example, what if the breaker fails? That's my only fear. It's funny how the older you get, the more careful and safer you get.

It would be nice if the inlet box had a lock on it, or you could stick a female to female stub in it, just so that the copper prongs aren't hanging out.

Thanks!
If the inlet and lock-out are installed properly the inlet will never be energized unless the generator is connected to it.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
Master Electrician

i wouldn't even want to guess at what these cost but it's what your looking for.
http://www.meltric.com/pdfs/meltric-generator-plugs.pdf
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andrew79 For This Useful Post:
mpoulton (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #6
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

There are connectors available that are touch-safe with either the male or female end hot. The Meltric Decontactor series (posted by Andrew, above) is one. A plug/receptacle pair costs about $300.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:30 AM   #7

Wow, that's exactly what I was looking for, but if it was WAY cheaper, I would do it. I'm sure those plugs are for high voltage situations anyways. What I had in mind was something like a short female to female plug that you can pull out when using the outlet. Just something so that the metal prongs aren't sticking out.

I suppose for that price, I will put my trust in the circuit breaker that it won't fail energized. Who knows, I'm not an electrician, but maybe the breakers fail open (unenergized).

Thanks all for the responses!
Old 07-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
Master Electrician

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....oducts_id=1030

you can lock this inlet plug and it's on sale
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #9

That is awesome. Thank you very much!!!
Old 07-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
Master Electrician

upon a second look you may want to double check and make sure it's ok for damp locations, i'm sure they make a weather proof equivalent though.