Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2012, 05:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Location of subpanel in garage

I will be pulling a 6/3 romex for a 60A subpanel in my attached garage. Since I am buying it by the foot I need to pick a location for the panel in order to buy only what I need. Are there any restrictions or guidelines as to where I can locate it? My ideal spot is on a sheetrock wall that has the dining area on the opposite side and the HVAC air handler around the corner from it. Any issues with this location?

elmaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

#6 NM is only good for 55A, but as long as as the load does not exceed that you are okay.

No NEC restrictions, except height 6'7" max, but since you are penetrating the fire wall between the house and garage, ask your inspector about any IRC requirements or local codes on that issue.

Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:11 AM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,080

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmaur View Post
Since I am buying it by the foot I need to pick a location for the panel in order to buy only what I need.
No; you don't need to. You may not even want to.
In the overall scheme of things the cost for an extra 20 or 30 feet of feed wire is the least important factor in choosing a spot for the panel. Avoiding conflict with doorways and other fixture placement and then convenience for running circuits inside the garage is far more important.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #4

elmaur, I was not really paying attention. Not enough coffee yet.

Where you mount the panel, there should be at least 30" wide clear space on the wall and nothing in front of the panel for 36".

There should be no other obstructions above or below the panel either.

I have a couple of pics that I will find and post showing what I mean.
The Following User Says Thank You to Code05 For This Useful Post:
elmaur (05-30-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,434

While he goes to find the pics, imagine a refrigerator sized box in front of the panel as the amount of space you need.
Code05 (05-30-2012), k_buz (05-30-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #6
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

That is EXACTLY how I describe it to customers when quoting a service change and the washer/dryer is directly in front of the panel.
k_buz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #7

These are a bit much to swallow at once, but we can clarify as needed, basically - what Jim said.

Well phooey, the darn pics came out small.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
While he goes to find the pics, imagine a refrigerator sized box in front of the panel as the amount of space you need.
And then, after the inspection, you'll actually have space for a refrigerator in your garage.
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,476

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversport View Post
And then, after the inspection, you'll actually have space for a refrigerator in your garage.
That's ok as long as it has beer in it.....:beer:

As tarheel said, the cost of the wire is minor....just remember, you will have to wire from it to your outlets....

I installed mine by the man door....because I have the door there...I'm less likely to block the area....and I find it convinient to walk inside and just reach around the door to access the panel....which I do on a regular basis.

Click on the link in my signature...some fo the pics will show my meter..

And, yes....you are limited to 55A....I would feed it with a 50A breaker...the likelyhood of ever needing that much is very slim. Chances are I'm already using the same 60A panel....and I'm feeding mine with #6 THHN/THWN wire from a 50A breaker in my main load center.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code05 View Post
#6 NM is only good for 55A, but as long as as the load does not exceed that you are okay.

No NEC restrictions, except height 6'7" max, but since you are penetrating the fire wall between the house and garage, ask your inspector about any IRC requirements or local codes on that issue.
The person of authority I just spoke to did say if I am inserting the panel in the firewall then I need to have 1/2" sheetrock around the panel to maintain the firewall or surface mount it and seal all penetrations.
He also said 6/3 is okay for a 60A panel.

Last edited by elmaur; 05-30-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #11

Whether I am surface or flush mounting the panel my feed wire and circuits will be coming from above at a height of about 8 ft inside the sheetrock wall. Code05, one of your pictures shows conduit to the panel. if wires are inside the wall is conduit needed?
Old 05-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
No; you don't need to. You may not even want to.
In the overall scheme of things the cost for an extra 20 or 30 feet of feed wire is the least important factor in choosing a spot for the panel. Avoiding conflict with doorways and other fixture placement and then convenience for running circuits inside the garage is far more important.
HD price for 6/3 romex $2.64/ft. All things you mention I am considering but would hate to see $50 or more worth of wire sitting around unusable.