DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Location of 220 and 110 outlets for dryer and washer (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/location-220-110-outlets-dryer-washer-3346/)

JAJJ 08-06-2006 05:15 PM

Location of 220 and 110 outlets for dryer and washer
 
I have a couple questions on my reloation of the washer and dryer.
I am stacking the washer and dryer in the new location in the basement (washer on the bottom and dryer on the top). Behind the dryer, aproximately 15 inches down from the joists, is where I plan to mount the 220V outlet for the dryer and the 110 volt outlet for the washer.

The washer outlet will be on a GFI circuit with the sump pump. (any problem with this?)

The dryer is on a seperate leg from the electrical panel using the correct electrical plug.

Below the outlets by aproximetly 28 inches will be the water wast for the washer. (any issue with this? Are there any distance requirments to plumbing?)

Any guidance with this project is welcome! Thanks much!

John Dwyer

Speedy Petey 08-06-2006 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAJJ
Behind the dryer, aproximately 15 inches down from the joists, is where I plan to mount the 220V outlet for the dryer and the 110 volt outlet for the washer.

Seems high to me but legally and safety wise it's fine.



Quote:

Originally Posted by JAJJ
The washer outlet will be on a GFI circuit with the sump pump. (any problem with this?)

Yes, most definitely.
1) The laundry recepetacle, in this case the washer, cannot be shared with other rooms or loads.
2) You do NOT want the washer on a GFI. Unless there is a laundry sink within 6' of the receptacle.



Quote:

Originally Posted by JAJJ
Below the outlets by aproximetly 28 inches will be the water wast for the washer. (any issue with this? Are there any distance requirments to plumbing?)

No. No distance restrictions to any plumbing.
It is typical to have the washer and dryer receptacles inches away from the "laundry box" on the wall.

Wolf-boy 08-07-2006 10:16 PM

You don't want your sump pump on a gfi circuit. It should be on a circuit all it's own on a single receptacle.

You don't want something as important as that on a circuit, or an outlet that can be prone to nuisance tripping, leaving you without power at the pump at the worst possible time giving you a flooded basement.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 AM.