Locating Doorbell Transformer - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Locating Doorbell Transformer

Hello,

I am a do-it-yourselfer with no professional electrical experience. That being said, I do have experience with installing and wiring switches and light fixtures around the house - the easy stuff.

My current DIY challenge is trying to fix the doorbell on a 1965 house. There are two doorbell buttons on different parts of the exterior, both of which appear to be original. The wiring going to each of these buttons also looks original (old).

On the inside of the house there are two separate doorbell chime boxes, each of which is located relatively close to their respective exterior buttons. The wiring going to the chime boxes is "different", leading me to believe that it is not configured as a straight shot from the button to the chime - in other words, there is likely a transformer in the middle.

My issue has been in locating the transformer or transformers. First of all, I am not sure if these two doorbell button and chime pairs would share a single transformer, or if they each have their own transformer. I assume if there was a single transformer then it would be centrally located between the two doorbells. However, if we are dealing with two separate transformers then they should each be in the same vicinity as their respective doorbell hardware.

I have so far checked any obvious interior locations, I have checked the electrical panel outside, and I have checked through the attic of the house. When in the attic, I checked the beams and rafters for a mounted transformer but I did not yet start pulling up insulation. So far, no luck in finding the transformer(s). Any suggestions here would be much appreciated.

Also, another reason I believe there is a transformer is because the voltage measured on the wires going to the chime measured between 1.5v and 2v. As an amateur DIYer, I can only conclude that this means there is a failing transformer somewhere on the circuit which is pushing out a voltage too low to power the chimes.

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions anyone here can provide me.

Thanks!

Advertisement

RodC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 506
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Did you measure the voltage with the doorbell button depressed or bypassed (twist the two wires together at the button)? Also, were you measuring volts AC or DC? In my experience most doorbell transformers are AC and should be anywhere from 16 to 25 volts AC.

Advertisement

theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:21 AM   #3

I believe the voltage measured was AC. Possibly a phantom voltage?

I did not attempt the bypass method of twisting the wires together. However, I measured with the button both pressed and not pressed - no difference in readings. The button essentially did nothing at all, as far as I could measure.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:23 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 686

Most I have found are under the house.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:24 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you are using an digital meter it's quite possible that voltage you are picking up is phantom or induced. The best way to trace low voltage wiring is to use a tracer such as those used by the telecommunication techs. It has a signal generator which you attach to a pair of wires and a receiver which is a "wand" which listens for the signal. It's pretty foolproof.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:26 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 506
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

How many wires do you have at the doorbell? If you only have two, one probably comes from the doorbell button to the bell, while the other should come from the transformer. If you have 4 then 2 should be from the transformer and 2 from the button. You may have to remove the doorbell from the wall to see if there are connections made inside the wall to different wires.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:32 AM   #7

I have two sheathed cables at the button, each of which has two wires (so 4 wires total). At the chime, I only have one sheathed cable which contains 4 wires, however two of them are cut off and only 2 of the wires were previously connected to the chime when I moved into the house.

As a last resort, I may end up purchasing one of those tone and wand kits to try and trace the wires. Hoping to avoid that.

Thanks for the help so far!
Old 11-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodC View Post

As a last resort, I may end up purchasing one of those tone and wand kits to try and trace the wires. Hoping to avoid that.

May be a last resort for you but it's a very handy tool for all (unenergized) circuits.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,324

Believe it or not, but I have seen them inside the panel.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #10

The tone kit may indeed be a useful thing to have for other DIY projects. Might not be a bad idea to invest in one.

As for the electrical panel, a friend suggested I open up the panel and look inside for the transformer. I have not yet had the chance to do this, but I will give it a shot later today. I had previously only removed the outside cover and glanced inside, finding nothing obvious.

I also received a suggestion to check inside the kitchen cabinets, so I will give that a shot too.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,290

Look in the basement----often hanging off the lamp box nearest the door bell---next---on the side of the fue box.

Is the basement open?
Old 11-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

Inside the electrical panel.

Mounted to the outside of the electrical panel.

Mounted in the ceiling joists above your other mechanical equipment (Furnace, water heater).

In an area around your laundry.

Did you check inside the actual chime enclosure?

Just some ideas on where it could be.
parman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #13

This house has no basement, so that rules that out.

I can confirm it is not located inside the chime enclosure.

I will check the other suggestions later today and report back.

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

Try the attic, that was where I found mine.

Advertisement

toastandjam is offline   Reply With Quote