Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 138
Share |

Load Center Prices?

I bought a SD SO2040M200S panel from HD....paid $125......

Being lazy and not being bothered to walk outside to look at the panel to see how many tandem breakers I could put in it....I looked it up on the internet.....$1161......

???????????????????????????????????????????

Ok....this made me go out and look at the model #....yep....I had the right number......

So what gives? Why the big difference in price?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 0

Load Center Prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
I bought a SD SO2040M200S panel from HD....paid $125......

Being lazy and not being bothered to walk outside to look at the panel to see how many tandem breakers I could put in it....I looked it up on the internet.....$1161......

???????????????????????????????????????????

Ok....this made me go out and look at the model #....yep....I had the right number......

So what gives? Why the big difference in price?
The model number 2040 means that all the spaceing you have there is listed to take tandem breakers no question asked but the model number SO ( the first two letters ) that got me off guard is this is Homline or QO series there is a differnce between the two the Homline take a full inch breakers while the QO take 3/4 inch breakers.

Some case the internet will list the case price not the indivual breakers which I have see it happend before. (the internet price I don't always use it due they can change a bit )

Merci,
Marc

Old 02-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #3

Load Center Prices?

You are looking at the list price, not the net price (what you pay). The list price is the same for everyone. But no one pays list price. The list price is used by distributors (Home depot/Supply house) with a multiplier to get their cost. Then they mark it up for you. The price you pay depends on the relationship between the manufacturer and the distributor. The best distributors get the best multipliers. This is how Square D for example can list a price in their catalog for all to see. Then the distributor takes the list price x's their multiplier to arrive at their cost.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
JOATMON

Load Center Prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
You are looking at the list price, not the net price (what you pay). The list price is the same for everyone. But no one pays list price. The list price is used by distributors (Home depot/Supply house) with a multiplier to get their cost. Then they mark it up for you. The price you pay depends on the relationship between the manufacturer and the distributor. The best distributors get the best multipliers. This is how Square D for example can list a price in their catalog for all to see. Then the distributor takes the list price x's their multiplier to arrive at their cost.
That part I know....but a 1000% difference? that means HD has a multiplier of 0.10 or less......

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 02-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #5

Load Center Prices?

Quote:
That part I know....but a 1000% difference? that means HD has a multiplier of 0.10 or less......
Nextag is letting me down on this one. Post a few prices picked at random from the Net for load centers similar to yours.
With your five or ten datapoints, Excel functions will say what's normal (the AVERAGE function) and what's unlikely (using the quartile function or figuring two standard deviations from the average).
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #6

Load Center Prices?

What's scary is when you find a distributor that's trying to get list price. When I was looking into load centers I tried to find a reputable place I could get AFCI breakers. I found a few places online that wanted $200 - $300 for (I assume) a single breaker. They didn't respond to me when I asked if it was a typo or a multiple pack.
a_lost_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
I=E/R

Load Center Prices?

Do you have your numbers correct? I can't find this:
http://ecatalog.squared.com/fulldeta...er=SO2040M200S
on Home Depots web site.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #8

Load Center Prices?

It's part of a value pack:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051
a_lost_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #9

Load Center Prices?

20 space 40 ckts.it will take 20 tandems.
oleguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #10
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 26

Load Center Prices?

Don't forget that a 2 pole breaker will eat up spaces for 2 tandems or 4 circuits. Much better to the the 40 full size circuit capacity.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

Load Center Prices?

They make breakers that say if you have two 40 amp 250v circuits that only takes up two spaces. Basically two tandems with two brackets that make it two double pole breakers. I think they make these in mixed sizes too. Saves a lot of room.
rrolleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #12
" Euro " electrician

Load Center Prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrolleston View Post
They make breakers that say if you have two 40 amp 250v circuits that only takes up two spaces. Basically two tandems with two brackets that make it two double pole breakers. I think they make these in mixed sizes too. Saves a lot of room.
Yep they do and they can come in quad verison which you can have common inter breaker and common outer breakers handle postion and there are some variation of size as well.

But not all the breakers will list all type of sizing so it will depending on what manufacter it will have on hand so maybe a wise idea to check it out ahead of the time to see what they will have a common stock item and what specail order size.

Merci,
Marc
Old 02-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #13
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

Load Center Prices?

Off topic but anyone else having trouble posting new topics?
rrolleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:33 PM   #14
JOATMON

Load Center Prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_lost_shadow View Post

Yep.....that is the one.....

I already have 200A service....I did the upgrade about 11 years ago using a Murray panel.....I'm doing a 2-story addition to my house so the existing load center panel has to move....I HATE the way the door opens 'up'....so that is why the SD panel...opens to the side.

Except for the garage and oven......I don't use a whole lot of electricity....but....being a controls engineer.....I tend to use a lot of CB's in my panels....makes it easier to isolate sub-systems and troubleshoot problems....same for my house. According to my latest electrical plan....I'm only going to have 2 unused spaces.....with 12 of the CB's being tandems.....

Well.....if SD wants to show the list at $1100 and HD wants to sell it for under $120....I'm ok with buying from HD.....

Old 02-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #15

Load Center Prices?

Quote:
Well.....if SD wants to show the list at $1100 and HD wants to sell it for under $120....I'm ok with buying from HD.....
You buy it for the best price. The list price means nothing to you unless Square D has given you a multiplier and you know what the markup is. Square D is notorious for extremely high list (catalog) pricing. They use the list pricing for consistent pricing to vendors and the illusion that you are getting a great buy. This is SOP for all catalog sales.
Just working the math is not enough to figure the vendor cost. There are incentives. Stocking distributors generally get a better price (multiplier) as an example. Its no secret that the big box stores get the best prices. The incentives are met with both stocking of the products and the volume sold.

PS.............You cannot buy from Square D direct anyway. They have no ability to sell retail.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote