Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #1
Mr. Handy

Share |

Load Center For Barn

I have a barn that currently has a safety disconnect switch and I want to replace it with a load center.

The power for this barn comes from the utility pole...after the meter of course.

I believe the new load center should be a main breaker load center vs a main lug. Am I correct?

Wiring to the barn is overhead and is 2 hots and a neutral. Currently a ground wire and the neutral wire are connected to a ground rod next to the barn. Would this be proper moving forward with the new load center?

swiederin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Load Center For Barn

Quote:
I have a barn that currently has a safety disconnect switch and I want to replace it with a load center

Simple thing to do ...curious .. was the safety switch fused ?

Quote:
The power for this barn comes from the utility pole...after the meter of course.
The barn has it's own service ? No residence on the property? Is this property zoned agricultural ?

Quote:
I believe the new load center should be a main breaker load center vs a main lug. Am I correct?
Doesn't have to be .. most main lug panels have the option of having a backfed main installed anyways. I would recommend one for you but as a guide a main breaker 100 amp load center has around 20 to 24 circuits for single pole 120 volts. A 100 amp main lug will have 16 or less as a rule... so it depends on what you need to power and how many circuits you are going to need.

Quote:
Wiring to the barn is overhead and is 2 hots and a neutral. Currently a ground wire and the neutral wire are connected to a ground rod next to the barn. Would this be proper moving forward with the new load center
Not 100% sure what you mean but if your saying the neutral and ground are together in the safety switch ...then yes that is fine for 3 wire feeds.

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #3

Load Center For Barn

Stubbie, if the barn panel is a subpanel, or the "only" panel after the meter, doesn't it need a disconnect or a main breaker?