DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Linen Closet Lighting

12K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  frenchelectrican 
#1 ·
I am in the process of refinishing a linen closet in my house and would like to include lighting. This is trickier than it first appears because of the design of the closet. The closet is only 31" wide and about 29" deep.

I've planned to make the shelves the full width and length of the closet, so a light mounted to the ceiling would do very little good. To this end, I think I need a separate light source at each shelf, or perhaps something that runs from top to bottom. Of course, it is a linen closet though which means there will be sheets and towels on each shelf, so I don't want to create a fire hazard of any sort. Finally, my attic access is through this closet, so the shelves need to be removable.

I know that NEC 410.8 applies here and I'd like to be compliant, but it seems to only address incandescent and fluorescent. It also seems to require that the light be mounted either on the ceiling or the wall above the door. Neither would do much good in my case.

So, what do you recommend? Are LED lights an option?

Thanks!

#2 ·
What about a recessed can just outside the closet? With a gimbal or eyeball trim, if you really want a lot of light in there..

I had no light in my hallway. I was considering putting a light in the linen closet that's in that hall, but once I put a can outside the closet (just regular reflective trim) it was plenty bright.

Otherwise, an LED strip light does seem like a good application here, going down the inside of the door jam if the shelves are tight front to back. Though I'm not sure what the NEC says about it, if you get a low-voltage fixture and put the transformer in the attic, I don't see that it would be prohibited.

#4 ·
Thanks guys for the suggestions.

Unfortunately, given the setup, a fixture mounted to the wall above the door would only serve to illuminate the shelf below it.

I had not thought of a light mounted in the hallway, although given where the closet is located, it would look rather awkward.

Any thoughts on the use of LED lights vis-a-vis the NEC?

Thanks!

#5 ·
anybody know how expensive a fiber optic set up would cost? they are like the little low voltage lights but the housing that contains the light bulb can be remotely mounted like in a utility room or something where it would be easy to change the bulb. then you could run the lights down the wall or even under the shelfs them self since there would be no or very little heat.

#6 · (Edited)
#7 ·
Having no knowledge of anything electrical, here's a suggestion FWIW.

Can you use the little LED puck lights that are used for task lighting under kitchen cabinets? If you mount one under each shelf, but toward the front where it's closest to the door, you would have enough light.

I don't know how many of those you can hook up to one outlet or one power strip, but it would make it easy when you have to remove the shelves to access the attic. You'd only need to unplug them.

#8 ·
Suzuki- Fiber optic is an excellent option, but too pricey for me for this application. It looks like hundreds of dollars for lighting a 29"x31" closet. Thanks though!

GMA - Thanks! My reading of the NEC suggests that would not be allowable. Does anyone have any thoughts on that? Can undercabinet lighting be used in a closet?

#10 ·
I wouldn't be opposed to it at all. Actually seems like the best solution, but is it up to code? More importantly, is it safe? Any sparkies around willing to chime in?

I think the standard rope light wouldn't work because it is technically an incandescent light. But what if I used LED rope light?

#12 ·
I'd be thinking about these... http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50119407

I prefer the strip because I'd rather mount to the cleats than to the shelf itself, because as I mentioned, the shelves need to be removable.

That said, I want to make sure that I am not building a fire hazard and would like this to be code compliant if possible. Does anyone know if LED lights are permitted in closets under the NEC?

Thanks!

#25 ·
I'd be thinking about these... http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50119407

I prefer the strip because I'd rather mount to the cleats than to the shelf itself, because as I mentioned, the shelves need to be removable.

That said, I want to make sure that I am not building a fire hazard and would like this to be code compliant if possible. Does anyone know if LED lights are permitted in closets under the NEC?

Thanks!
Techally wise that is a big iffy right now due the NEC code is behind with techolgy change like LED they really come out very fast.

I know someone did wrote to the NEC commite to change the code with luminaires in cloth closet to add the LED in there but too early to say what they go thru with it yet.

I know it work pretty slick but as the LED get more common the price will go down anyway that will be good benfit for us.

we will keep you posted if the NEC did change the code related to this { the next change will be in 2011 so between now and the date when the new NEC edition come out we will see what change it will make there }

Merci,Marc

#19 ·
I'm actually planning on using LED rope light
I bought (20) 18' rope lights at HD at 90% off last Christmas
I know someone who used to just use reg christmas mini-lights strung along the shelves. On my front porch I have a string of LED mini's on a timer to light up the porch . They use less then 4 watts total. I also have LED rope light in the kitchen - 2 strings use 10 watts total. Also used at night
All of my night lights are also LED (less then 1 watt) - I have 5

#24 ·
A friend of mine had a similar situation with a pantry - each shelve was dark when illuminated from the single overhead bulb. He ran a rope light around the inside of the door at the casing edge. The rope light was a premade set, ready to plug into a outlet. To power it he installed a outlet inside the pantry, switched from the existing switch. The illumination is just right and his wife loves it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.