Line Voltage Programmable Thermostat For Off-peak - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2010, 02:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Line Voltage Programmable Thermostat for Off-peak

I am doing research for a project this fall. I would like to have programmable thermostat for my 240v baseboard heater that are off-peak electric. I have looked for programmable line voltage thermostat that have battery back-up, but have not found one yet. Does anybody know of one?

Plan one: Invent, patent, manufacture and sell themÖ that is not going to happen.

Plan two: Use a 12v programmable thermostat for each circuit of baseboard heaters. Use the 12v output to control a relay. The relay would have 12v on one side and 240v on the other side. I think, I have found the relay for it. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5Z556?Pid=search

Has anyone done something like this? Your thoughts on the project? NEC concerns?

Plan three: (just came to me) For each circuit, run the wire form the c/b box to the line voltage programmable t-stat, then back to the off-peak relay panel. Then to the baseboard heater.

Thanks
Cody

Advertisement

studhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

This is what I use to control two 240 volt electric heaters with one low voltage thermostat, works great with 0 problems

http://www.emersonclimate.com/Docume..._06_pg0095.pdf

Advertisement

regularguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #3

Plan Four: Use a White Rodgers low voltage control for electric heat.

That makes things simple.
2 circuit from one t-stat, that will reduce cost also

Thank you
Old 05-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

I have a time clock on my water heater that is programmed to only operate during off-peak hours.

I also have a definite purpose contactor on my electric heat circuits which is controlled by the water heater time clock.

This setup means that my electric heat and water heater only operate during off-peak. One time clock controls multiple circuits.

The clock ($69 at Lowe's) also has a large capacitor installed to prevent it from "forgetting" its time and programming if the power should fail. No batteries needed.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #5

My electric co-op has remote control over off-peak heat. They can turn it off at any time of the day for something like 4 or 6 hours at a time. They control heat storage the way you have, but I am not set up for that. My water heater isnít big enough for off peak, it is only 38 gallons.