Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

In-Line Switch on Hard Wired Fixture

Current set-up: Living room with a small ceiling pendant light and separate ceiling fan controlled from the same single wall switch. Appears the two are "daisy-chained" in parallel with a line (two-wire: Blk, White, Ground) from the switch to the pendant light box and then continuing on to the fan box (i.e. there is not an individual line going to each item from the wall switch).

Plan: I would like to be able to run the fan without having the separate pendant light on. I am considering installing an in-line switch (torpedo switch or roller switch) in the wire which comes down the pendant chain. This would allow turning this light off even when the wall switch is on to allow the fan to run. It appears an in-line switch is appropriate for plug-in lamps, but not common on hard-wired fixtures. The pendant light is grounded by an exposed grounding wire which is also woven up the pendant chain and is only rated for a single 60 Watt bulb. My initial concern is that a "cheap" in-line switch might potentially allow a short to ground. Does installing this switch sound reasonable and/or safe? Any other thoughts on how to approach this? I am looking for a solution that does not involve installing an additional wall switch.

1sthome1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

You could install an X10 remotely controlled unit in the lamp base.

hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:42 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,026

A roller switch that flexes the wires it is attached to is not particularly safe in the wires woven in a chandelier chain.

You could install a pull chain switch in the light or in the cap (canopy) where the light assembly is hung from the ceiling.