Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2011, 07:52 AM   #1
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,146

Line to line load on a MWBC?

I am in the process of replacing my existing 120 volt,3/4 HP well pump with a 240 volt, 1HP pump. The pump is is a small pump house about 60 feet from the house (and the sub panel that powers it). The power is supplied by #12 THWN wire in PVC conduit (black, white and green conductors). I also have a light and a receptacle in the pump house; the pump is hard wired.

I am considering pulling in a red #12 THWN conductor, installing a 2 pole 20 amp breaker in the sub and creating a 20 amp MWBC. The pump would be hard wired as a line to line load and the light & receptacle connected as line to neutral loads.

Looking at NEC 210.4 (C), I am not sure this is allowed. The article says a MWBC shall have only line to neutral loads but the exception seems to allow a line to line load if there is only 1 piece of using equipment (the pump). The 20 amp circuit has more than enough capacity for the intended loads.

The question is can I use my MWBC for both my 240 volt pump and the 120 volt light & receptacle?

Old 12-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

210.4(C) Exception No. 2: Where all ungrounded conductors of the multiwire branch circuit are opened simultaneously by the branch-circuit overcurrent device.

I read that as yes, you can, though I would pull 2 more wires for the pump only and add the 2-pole 20A. Then the light & recpt can be independent, so you can shut down the pump to work on it, and still have light and power for tools.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SD515 For This Useful Post:
rjniles (12-07-2011)
Old 12-07-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
Electrician

Edit to above post: No different than a modern stove or dryer using 240V for the heating elements and 120V for the timers, etc.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD515 View Post
210.4(C) Exception No. 2: Where all ungrounded conductors of the multiwire branch circuit are opened simultaneously by the branch-circuit overcurrent device.

I read that as yes, you can, though I would pull 2 more wires for the pump only and add the 2-pole 20A. Then the light & recpt can be independent, so you can shut down the pump to work on it, and still have light and power for tools.
SD515,

Thanks for the conformation. The problem with pulling in 2 more conductors and having the pump on its own circuit is that I violate the requirement not to have more than 1 circuit or feeder to an outbuilding.
I plan on haviong 2 disconnects in the pump house. 1 to cut off all power and a 2nd to isolate the pump for maintence while keeping the light and receptacle working.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
Electrician

Oops…you’re right about the outbuilding. Good idea with the 2 discos.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is the sub-panel in the pump house?..If so you can just feed it with a larger circuit and go from there. You will need to replace the feeder with appropriate size wiring for the circuit amperage you choose.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
A "Handy Husband"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
Is the sub-panel in the pump house?..If so you can just feed it with a larger circuit and go from there. You will need to replace the feeder with appropriate size wiring for the circuit amperage you choose.
No sub in the pump house, just a 20 amp 120 volt branch circuit that I will upgrade to a 20 amp MWBC. I will never need more capacity than that will provide.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:31 AM   #8
" Euro " electrician

The key issue you may snag is the pressure switch location if you have the pressure switch at the pump house then the plain jane MWBC will work very well with your plans but if you have the pressure switch in the house that can change a bit so let us know what you have there.

Merci,
Marc
Old 12-08-2011, 05:14 AM   #9
A "Handy Husband"

Marc,
Thanks for your concern but the pressure switch is mounted on the pump (in the pump house).
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (12-09-2011)
Old 12-08-2011, 05:14 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,026

The 20 amp MWBC is a standard feed between two buildings where a MWBC is the most efficient way of bringing the power to the outbuilding.

I don't have the NEC handy at this moment but I never read that a subpanel is needed for a 20 or fewer amp feed just because there are both 120 and 240 volt loads out there.

But you might want to run heavier feed wires in case a future owner of the property wants more power out there (and installs a subpanel out there before upping the main panel breaker set).
Old 12-09-2011, 05:57 AM   #11
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Marc,
Thanks for your concern but the pressure switch is mounted on the pump (in the pump house).
A simple single MWBC will do the job just fine and get a A/C pullout switch that will serve as your disconnect source { the NEC code did mention it have to be simuationed to be disconnected } I think there is other ways to do it but I will have to take a closer look at the codes to see what else to be workable to your situation.

Merci,
Marc
Old 12-09-2011, 06:21 AM   #12
A "Handy Husband"

Planning on using 2 of these:

60 amp non-fused pull out.

One as the MWBC enters the pump house and the second to isolate just the pump.

As for adding more capacity, this is a 6' by 6' shed about 5' high at the ridge. It contains the jet pump and the pressure tank. I live in coastal South Carolina so any freezing concerns are covered by the 60 watt light bulb. I don't see a me or any future owner doing anything else with this structure.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:25 AM   #13
" Euro " electrician

That will work very well and they are cheaper than two pole switch btw but only one part is you have to watch out is the netural at the first pullout switch so you will have to make a floating connection for netural while the ground { bare } will be allready landed to the bussbar on the top of it { If I recall the Midwest pullout are in that fashion while Milbank pullout verison is floating verison }

Merci,
Marc
rjniles (12-09-2011)
Old 12-09-2011, 07:09 AM   #14
A "Handy Husband"

Marc,
Again thanks for the feedback. I realize I will have to float the neutral (wire nut white to white) in the pullout.

I prefer to use a pull out for a disconnect as I can put it my pocket and no one can flip it back on.