Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #1

Share |

Line Conditioner

Is there a line conditioner that can be mounted near a main electrical panel that will handle five outlets?

Iím having my house re-wired and I have five dedicated circuits for computers and electronics. Rather than by five separate line conditioners for each computer/electronics location I would like to buy one larger unit and install it near the main panel.

bfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Line Conditioner

I don't think you will find a conditioner that will handle 5 separate circuits.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Line Conditioner

Why do you think you need a line conditioner? Modern electronics are more tolerant of voltage fluctuations and power quality issues than many non-electronic loads. I can understand wanting a UPS, but line conditioners are SOOO 1980's.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #4

Line Conditioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
Why do you think you need a line conditioner? Modern electronics are more tolerant of voltage fluctuations and power quality issues than many non-electronic loads. I can understand wanting a UPS, but line conditioners are SOOO 1980's.
Really... I din't know that. Don't most of the good UPS's come with line conditioners also? Is there an UPS that would do what I want? Wired into the line(s)?
Old 03-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #5

Line Conditioner

Please elaborate on "LINE CONDITIONER"
there are many different types.
Are you refering to a UPS?
or perhaps some type of power filter ?

Which one are you refering to ?
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #6

Line Conditioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
Please elaborate on "LINE CONDITIONER"
there are many different types.
Are you refering to a UPS?
or perhaps some type of power filter ?

Which one are you refering to ?

My goal is to take reasonable precautions to protect expensive electronics. Any suggestions?
Old 03-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #7

Line Conditioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfackrell

My goal is to take reasonable precautions to protect expensive electronics. Any suggestions?
UPS at the items. They act as a voltage regulator. I have them on my computer, entertainment center items, and a third on my cable modem & router. For $75-150 depending on the load, they are worth it.

http://www.apc.com/products/category.cfm?id=13
daveplot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daveplot For This Useful Post:
mpoulton (03-03-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #8

Line Conditioner

In addition to power line disturbances, voltage spikes, electrical noise, etc. which ARE common and a power line conditioner would correct...

Also sometimes there is a momentary power outage which is just enough to make a computer reboot. I have this happen at least twice a month in my area. But I have a UPS, so while the lights flicker, my computer continues to run!

With that said, you can get an "online" "pure sine" UPS which manufactures its own "perfect" electricity 100% of the time (best line conditioner) and has battery backup (keeps 'em running during momentary power outage).

They have these for single computers all the way up to sizes for vary large data centers. More and larger batteries will mean it will run longer during a power outage depending on the load.

The larger units would certainly handle 5 circuits. Very large would be "3 phase", but for a home you would need "single phase" or 240 volt input.

Search google.com for the words including quotes...

online "pure sine" UPS

or...

data center "pure sine" UPS

Here is one manufacturer...
http://www.apc.com/products/category.cfm?id=13&subid=51
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billy_Bob For This Useful Post:
bfackrell (03-04-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Line Conditioner

Modern switching power supplies are not picky about power at all. Many are rated for 100-240V 50-60Hz input and will operate over an even wider range than that. That covers every power standard worldwide with no adjustments. They usually have built in surge suppression also, but it's not very hefty. A UPS is definitely the best solution if you feel like you need to have something. If protection from damage is all you're looking for, then surge suppressors (properly grounded) will do the job as well as can be expected. A UPS provides excellent surge suppression, but also prevents rebooting from power glitches.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #10

Line Conditioner

P.S. Another type of protection for electronic things is "surge protection". You can get a "whole house surge protector" which installs in the electrical panel. That protects from large voltages (surges).

And I think some manufacturers have a different name for "whole house surge protectors" these days? I forget what they are calling them.

Anyway that would protect the electronics in an electric range or 240 volt dryer as well as everything else.
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Line Conditioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfackrell View Post
A line conditioner is a waste. Install a whole house Surge protector on your Main breaker panel, make sure that the panel is properly grounded to earth ground, along with incoming Telephone & catv bonded to the common ground rod for the meter or main breaker panel. Also use a good quality surge protector.

If you want to take it a step further, install gas discharge blocks for telco & catv, or install a whole house surge that allows you to connect telco & catv, which those units have gas discharge modules in them. That is all you need. Besides, if you got a direct lightening strike, or one of the phases of the POCO drops on another, or they lose the Neutral, a Surge, UPS, Line Conditioner, ground rod is not going to do anything, but your main breaker would be the first line of defense, once you throw the breaker.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
bfackrell (03-04-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #12

Line Conditioner

I would recommend a whole house surge protector and a UPS for your components. I have a 2200 va UPS which runs 3 computers, 16 port switch, cable modem, a bunch of external drives and monitor for almost an hour during outages. I dint think its a perfect Sine model but does a good job anyway.
dengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #13

Line Conditioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengle View Post
I would recommend a whole house surge protector and a UPS for your components. I have a 2200 va UPS which runs 3 computers, 16 port switch, cable modem, a bunch of external drives and monitor for almost an hour during outages. I dint think its a perfect Sine model but does a good job anyway.
Why bother, unless you are running a mission critical data center in your home I wouldn't bother with any of this. Buy a laptop, it has inherent UPS by virtue of the DC battery. Save a bunch of $$ for protection you don't really need. Buy a bigger disk drive and practice regular off site backups with a service like Carbonite.
curiousB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #14

Line Conditioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfackrell View Post
take reasonable precautions to protect expensive electronics. Any suggestions?
This site
http://protectmeplans.com/products/l...FcFw4AodCHg3AA
suggests that you should spend $79 or less on some method of protection over a 3 year interval
and for a $1K computer your chances of damage for any reason over this interval is less than $79/$1000 = 1 in 13 = 8%.

How often do people nowadays buy a new computer, for any reason?
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

Line Conditioner

Me, when it finally dies. After my laptop that I got in 2003 finally died in 2008, I ended up using a desktop that I still had, which was purchased back in 2001, which died in 2008, and upgraded that in 2008 to a new one which is still running strong. Most of my machines are now P3 hyper-thread, with my Netbook that I got in 2010 is running an Atom processor.

As for protection, $79 is what I spent on the whole house, most of my surge strips tend to not be more than $40. I see no reason to run out and upgrade just because manufacturers and Microsoft want you to do it now. I do it, when the machine finally dies and that requires me to hem and haw about spending the money to go out and get a replacement.

Matter of fact, I am getting back one of my machines from a end user, and going to use that as a media server, with a graphics card that will have HDMI output, and upgrade to 4gb, and install a 500gb hard drive. In turn update the netbook to a SSD in place of the current drive.

No, some tend to spend more than its worth, in protection and updating technology.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote