Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #1

Share |

lights "strobe"

funny thing about the lights in this bathroom I'm doing over: they flicker at the line frequency (I guess) so they produce a "strobing" effect. never noticed this before,maybe it's a recent thing. gives me a durned headache as I try to remove the wallpaper. haven't checked if the outlets do it too. could the GFCI be doing this. didn't think lights had to be on a GFCI.
any ideas?

tnx,

analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
Mad Scientist

lights "strobe"

What kind of lights? Florescent lights can do that if the bulbs or ballast are going bad. Incandescent shouldn't, though, unless there's a loose connection.

McSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #3

lights "strobe"

yeah, these are "incandesent" lights,strange huh?
(a loose connection wouldn't cause this kind of regular flicker)
I was thinking of some sort of inductive load on the light circuit and indeed it DID look like the flickering coincided with the furnace blower coming on, but that didn't seem to work out. (the furnace is only a couple months old) still considering that though!

tnx,
Old 01-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

lights "strobe"

Quote:
they flicker at the line frequency
you can see 60 hz?

Is there a dimmer on them?
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #5

lights "strobe"

Light Emitting Diode (LED) fixtures may flicker at 60 Hz. But the tiny individual lamps inside may be wired to flash alternately giving a 120 Hz effect that hardly anybody notices.

Most fluorescents flicker at 120 Hz. Incancescents also get 120 pulses of power each second as the positive and negative portions of the 60 Hz AC come into play except that some dimmers alter the power to deliver 60 pulses per second that may be noticed with incandescents also. There may also be a visible difference between a short angular pulse every 1/60 second compared with round pulses (from sine waves) occupying most of every 1/120'th second time slot.

Regular LED's light only on the positive pulses or only on the negative pulses depending on which way the little lamps are wired in. They do make "tandem" LED lamps with two glowing elements inside the usual grain of wheat sized bulb, sometimes red for the positive pulses and green for the negative pulses (and yellow when both are energized) and used for color effects.

Some people see 60 Hz flicker. This has been annoying with older computer screens and many computers offer 70 Hz and sometimes faster "refresh" for the screen. On extremely old computer screens and TV sets, every row of pixels may flicker at (approx.) 30 Hz. with odd rows and even rows offset halfway, by 1/60'th second to give the overall picture although not necessarily the crosses of T's and dots of I's a refresh of at least 60 Hz.

Once in awhile the filament of an incandescent lamp vibrates, giving a flickering effect as shadows cast by the light move slightly.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-08-2011 at 09:01 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

lights "strobe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post

Once in awhile the filament of an incandescent lamp vibrates, giving a flickering effect as shadows cast by the light move slightly.
that is kind of what I was after. I have seen filaments vibrate and even "sing" due to being on a dimmer.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:25 PM   #7

lights "strobe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
you can see 60 hz?

Is there a dimmer on them?

any electrician "worth his salt" can see a 60 cy. flicker,just as most can recognize a 60 cy. "hum". you ARE "worth your salt" aren't you nap?

tnx,
Old 01-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #8

lights "strobe"

Not everyone can see a flicker as fast as 60 Hz.

But a person is more likely to notice a flicker when seeing the light out of the corner of the eye as opposed to looking directly at it.