Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 32
Share |
Default

Lights still dimming and flickerin


Our lights have been dimming and flickering..sometimes worser than the other. we uplugged all major appliances and the lights still dimmed and flickered. the power company has came and checked outside the house and said he didn't see anything that would cause it on the outside and he even look at our panel box on the inside of the house and he still didn't find a problem. He tighted up a couple of loose things in the panel and cut away a couple of branches on the outside and that was about it. The lights still flickered and dimmed. next we called an elcectrian the checked the panel on the inside and seem to be tightening something on the inside. They even replaced sockets on the inside of our house. They basically couldn't find a problem either outside of replaceing sockets. They told us to call them back if we had any more problems.. for the rest of that evening into the begining of the next day the lights did not dim nor flicker. But later on in the evening of the next day the lights started back dimming and flickering. So in the next couple of days I called the power company back because I noticed branches close by our electrical line and I asked them to see if that could possibly be the cause of the dimming and flickering of our lights. After they checked he notice the limbs but he said it would not be enough to cause dimming and flickering of our lights. so after that a guy who usually troubleshoots for electrical problems in homes checked our panel box out and he only tighted up things too and did not find any problems as to what would cause the lights to dim and flicker... The dimming and flickering has stopped for a couple of days now but just this afternoon it started back dimming and flickering. I'm starting to think it has something to do with our powerline on the inside. If there was a bad connection in wires wouldn't the dimming and flickering be consistent instead of blinking and dimming somedays and others it doesn't? I'm not sure about what to do next no one can find the problem. Should I call the electrician back? ( also last week we had our air conditioner fixed but even with that off the lights still dim and flicker) What do you think the problem might be? any suggestions will be appreciated

Keisha34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 14,098
Default

Lights still dimming and flickerin


Did they take any load measurements, with and without heavy use appliances running? And if they did, what were the readings and did they write them down? What power company are you using for your power, and where do you live. Also, did they look at their side on how many homes are on the transformer, and if it is not dropping voltage too far, if people are running their a/c.

I have seen my voltage drop as far as 215volts, but never too the point that I see the problems you see. I did in the past, when I had Ameren for power out in the country, and would see voltage drops as low as 85volts. I would say with your problem, you may want to call them back up and see if they can monitor the loads on the transformer or your home, or even better invest into something like a Ted5000, so that you can monitor your voltage, so you have something to show the POCO what is going on.

__________________
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cairns Australia
Posts: 2,486
Default

Lights still dimming and flickerin


Curent limits like this are usually caused by loose connections somewhere!
Althou sometimes it could just be that the power supply is struggling.

Can you establish a pattern to the flickering ?
Is it mainly at periods of peak demand
this could indicate power supply struggling.
Or is it when it is windy,
this could indicate loose wires somewhere.

Do you see what I mean.
intermittant problems can be difficult to track down sometimes.
You will need a methodical approach to solve these issues.
dmxtothemax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 32
Default

Lights still dimming and flickerin


Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Did they take any load measurements, with and without heavy use appliances running? And if they did, what were the readings and did they write them down? What power company are you using for your power, and where do you live. Also, did they look at their side on how many homes are on the transformer, and if it is not dropping voltage too far, if people are running their a/c.

I have seen my voltage drop as far as 215volts, but never too the point that I see the problems you see. I did in the past, when I had Ameren for power out in the country, and would see voltage drops as low as 85volts. I would say with your problem, you may want to call them back up and see if they can monitor the loads on the transformer or your home, or even better invest into something like a Ted5000, so that you can monitor your voltage, so you have something to show the POCO what is going on.
I don't think the electrician or the power company electrician took measurements of the power load. No they did not look into the neighbors that are on the same line with us to see whose using an ac. i live in the mississippi delta and it is getting closer to the summer time. also i have notice that the tree branches are still hovering around the power line..so we called them recently to cut the tree branches from around the line..but they haven't came yet..but once they do that we are going to see if the blinking and dimming stops ..and then we would be able to tell if the problem comes from our house or the line.

Last edited by Keisha34; 06-07-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Keisha34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 14,098
Default

Lights still dimming and flickerin


For people that may be down your way, what is the power company you use? Also, check your local library to see if they rent the adapters that you plug in to see voltage, but if you can, like I stated before, insist on the POCO placing a reader on your line so that they get a reading of what is going on for a period of time.

I personally like the Ted 5000 device, due to I can see a history of what is happening, and also can feed the info into a couple of different websites that are available, to even get a better assessment by graph & data information.
__________________
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 32
Default

Lights still dimming and flickerin


Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
Curent limits like this are usually caused by loose connections somewhere!
Althou sometimes it could just be that the power supply is struggling.

Can you establish a pattern to the flickering ?
Is it mainly at periods of peak demand
this could indicate power supply struggling.
Or is it when it is windy,
this could indicate loose wires somewhere.

Do you see what I mean.
intermittant problems can be difficult to track down sometimes.
You will need a methodical approach to solve these issues.
there is no pattern in the flickering or dimming. I did dim more when it was windy this afternoon, but i has dimmed and flickered without it being windy before too. but if there was a loose wire wouldn't there be a consistency in flickering and dimming instead of doing it somedays and other days not giving us any problems?
Keisha34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 32
Default

Lights still dimming and flickerin


Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
For people that may be down your way, what is the power company you use? Also, check your local library to see if they rent the adapters that you plug in to see voltage, but if you can, like I stated before, insist on the POCO placing a reader on your line so that they get a reading of what is going on for a period of time.

I personally like the Ted 5000 device, due to I can see a history of what is happening, and also can feed the info into a couple of different websites that are available, to even get a better assessment by graph & data information.
so u thing the problem is outside on our line? and is this monitoring system expensive?
Keisha34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 14,098
Default

Lights still dimming and flickerin


The Ted is around $200 for the one without the desktop/table top display, or for the Owl, it is $130, the GE is $80. As for having the PoCo do it, it would be free, and would give them a better idea of what is going on, if they do not already know. If you want to see how the Ted works and looks, you can look at mine at 99 74 35 216 (insert periods in the IP posted). You can not make any changes to my part, but you can see what I said about fluctuations and how well it monitors in the past six months.
__________________
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #9
Member
 
biggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,630
Default

Lights still dimming and flickerin


loose neutral and or ground coming into the panel or up on the pole doubt its either side of the 230v coming in...anybody pull the meter to check for rust on the contacts
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 32
Default

Lights still dimming and flickerin


Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
loose neutral and or ground coming into the panel or up on the pole doubt its either side of the 230v coming in...anybody pull the meter to check for rust on the contacts
not that I know of but I just saw something interesting while i was looking in the fridge the light in the fridge dimmed and I also had lamp plugged up at the same time and the light in it didn't do it. so i unplugged the fridge and turned on the overhead lights but they still dimmed anyway. so im wondering is it the socket..can sockets cause dimming even when nothing is plugged in it? also the plug that the lamp was plug in and the where the fridge were plugged in are on the same circut.
Keisha34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 32
Default

Lights still dimming and flickerin


Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
The Ted is around $200 for the one without the desktop/table top display, or for the Owl, it is $130, the GE is $80. As for having the PoCo do it, it would be free, and would give them a better idea of what is going on, if they do not already know. If you want to see how the Ted works and looks, you can look at mine at 99 74 35 216 (insert periods in the IP posted). You can not make any changes to my part, but you can see what I said about fluctuations and how well it monitors in the past six months.
I just saw something interesting while i was looking in the fridge the light in the fridge dimmed and I also had lamp plugged up at the same time and the light in it didn't do it. so i unplugged the fridge and turned on the overhead lights but they still dimmed anyway. so im wondering is it the socket..can sockets cause dimming even when nothing is plugged in it? also the plug that the lamp was plug in and the where the fridge were plugged in are on the same circut.
Keisha34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #12
Member
 
biggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,630
Default

Lights still dimming and flickerin


did the power company or electrican verify the incoming voltages 208V-230V top of the panel then each leg to a neutral for a soild 120V hat runs most of your home.sounds like something is draining... how is your electric bill lately
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cairns Australia
Posts: 2,486
Default

Lights still dimming and flickerin


Quote:
Originally Posted by Keisha34 View Post
I just saw something interesting while i was looking in the fridge the light in the fridge dimmed and I also had lamp plugged up at the same time and the light in it didn't do it. so i unplugged the fridge and turned on the overhead lights but they still dimmed anyway. so im wondering is it the socket..can sockets cause dimming even when nothing is plugged in it? also the plug that the lamp was plug in and the where the fridge were plugged in are on the same circut.
Wouldnt hurt to check all connecttions on this recepticule!
Loose connecttions can cause trouble if other things
are down the same line.
dmxtothemax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 32
Default

Lights still dimming and flickerin


Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
did the power company or electrican verify the incoming voltages 208V-230V top of the panel then each leg to a neutral for a soild 120V hat runs most of your home.sounds like something is draining... how is your electric bill lately
the electric bill was lower than the usual..they really didn't verify anything with me cause i don't know much about electricity..i just think its funny how the refrigerator is effected but not the air conditioner
Keisha34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #15
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 14,098
Default

Lights still dimming and flickerin


Can you post a picture of the power panel & the meter can outside.

__________________
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.