Lights Not Working - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Lights not working

Last night my wife noticed that the downstairs bedroom light and the bathroom light was not working. They are on separate fuses. There is power going from the panel to the light switch in both cases as they are on separate fuses. Fuses are fine as i tested both and there is an outgoing current. However, there is no power in both light switches. I went up in the attic and did a rough inspection of the cables in visible areas. Nothing appears to be wrong. Our house is about a year and a half old. He have been experiencing some unusually cold temperatures, about 3 degrees F. I don't believe we have any rodents above the garage where the attic is. As I mentioned I didn't notice anything unusual.
Could the electrical cable have failed? Could it be due to the cold. What are my options? Thanks.

Advertisement

jwozni2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Lights not working

U say the house is a year and a half old and you have fuses and not circuit breakers?

Advertisement

heartlessmcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #3

Lights not working

Thanks for the quick reply. To me it is one and the same. I do have circuit breakers and not fuses.
Thanks
Old 11-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,022

Lights not working

How (what did you use) to test for outgoing current?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #5

Lights not working

I used a voltage tester. When I tested it one pin was touching the outgoing wire from the breaker. I also replaced the breakers with ones that work for sure and this didn't change anything.
Thanks
Old 11-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Lights not working

You say it take two breakers to turn it off if that the case you have MWBC in there and the netural conductor is compersied by loose connection.

But it can be caused by backstabbed switch or devices.

When you did the switching the breakers did you noted the black and red conductors ? if so that genrally will give away a MWBC in most case.

Do any of bedroom receptales are working or not ??

Let us know what you have there.

Merci,
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 252

Lights not working

science you say they are on different breakers,does one have a red wire and the other have a black?if so you have a multi-wire ckt.with a shared neutral.if that is so you have lost the neutran some where.also if that is the case,you will need to find where the home run goes and check to see if neutral is disconnected.be careful as you will need to turn off both breakers.you beat me MARC...
oleguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #8

Lights not working

I am probably not explaining this correctly. Let me try again.
There is a breaker that is for the bedroom and there is another one that is setup just for the bathroom. I am not sure why but the bathroom breaker is a basic one and the bedroom one is one with a test button. It is also larger in size.
Both breakers have a one black wire coming out. the bathroom is by the bedroom so I assume they run together. I tested the outbound wire on both breakers and there is electricity there. However, I don't get any current in the light switches (bathroom or bedroom). I hope this makes more sense.
Thanks.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:44 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

Lights not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwozni2 View Post
I am probably not explaining this correctly. Let me try again.
There is a breaker that is for the bedroom and there is another one that is setup just for the bathroom. I am not sure why but the bathroom breaker is a basic one and the bedroom one is one with a test button. It is also larger in size.
Both breakers have a one black wire coming out. the bathroom is by the bedroom so I assume they run together. I tested the outbound wire on both breakers and there is electricity there. However, I don't get any current in the light switches (bathroom or bedroom). I hope this makes more sense.
Thanks.
Is there a gfci receptacle in the bathroom? I was thinking maybe you had the breakers mixed up? Usually the bigger breaker would be the gfci. Maybe your receptacle in the bathroom is protected with a gfci breaker instead of a gfci receptacle.
Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #10

Lights not working

There is a separate breaker for kitchen and bath gfi. It is same size as if you were to connect 2 smaller ones together. All the outlets work in the bath and bedroom. It is just the main light.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:56 PM   #11

Lights not working

Do you have a meter to check for an actual voltage level at the switch?
Old 11-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #12

Lights not working

Yes, I have a simple voltage meter that light up either 110 or 220. i just checked them again on the outgoing black wire and I had 110 on both.
Thanks
Old 11-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #13

Lights not working

Can you test for voltage at the switch? Maybe you have some loose wires in one of the boxes and you're not getting power to the switch. Maybe one of the neutral wires is loose and the circuit is not completed.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #14

Lights not working

I already did. No voltage in the bathroom or bedroom light switch. I also wen back and tested all the breakers and I have voltage going out of all the fuses.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:21 PM   #15

Lights not working

Are there any other boxes the wires go to before they get to the bathroom/bedroom boxes? Are there any receptacles that don't work? I'm guessing that the bedroom and bathroom lights get power from the same breaker. That is how it is in my house. There must be a break in one of the conductors somewhere before the switches, either a hot or neutral. It is just a matter of finding it.

Advertisement

Tags
loss of power , no lights