DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Lights in house dimming!!!

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  operagost 
#1 · (Edited)
We had a home inpection done on a home we put a contract on to purchase.
The home inspector stated when multiple fixtures are used in the house, the lights dim and recommended a licensed eletrician be called to repair it.

The home is 21 years old. When we conveyed our concern to our realtor and the listing realtor, they didn't see what all the concern was. My husband does not have a good feel about this issue. He asked the Seller to have an electrician come in and see what the problem was and how much it was going to cost. The Sellers refused and just offered us money off on the house, which my husband and I felt was a red flag.

We cancelled the contract, but since, the Sellers decided to go ahead and get an electrician to see what the problem is. They don't feel it poses any serious problems.

Can someone explain how dangerous this is and what can be done to find the problem? Much appreciated.

#3 ·
Lights in house dimming

Thanks JB. That is what my husband is thinking too. Unfortunately, the Sellers didn't want to have an electrician investigate. Which we couldn't understand. She offered us money off on the house instead, to do it after we closed. We thought that odd and cancelled the contract. Since then, she has decided to get an electrician and wanted to know if we would still be interested. Hmmmm!
What is your thought there??

#4 ·
I would base the purchase on having a licensed electrician an go over the entire house and make a list of everything he/she thinks need work then have the work done and finally have all the work inspected by an electrical inspector not a general home inspector.

#5 ·
Lights in house dimming

That is a great idea. And yes, there were a few more electrical issues, but my husband was going to take care of that.
We dropped our agent and the listing agent an e-mail with our terms, as you just suggested.
I'll let you all know how this turns out. Hopefully a happy ending for both parties!:huh:

#6 ·
I've seen this so many times in my area as I get referrals from local home inspectors for non-electrical repairs involved in a home closing. I hear directly from Licensed Electricians I know about how this particular problem could be as simple as the local electrical supplier needing to "adjust the taps" on a transformer outside on the pole to solve this issue. And then again: I hear and see how it is traced to one faulty circuit which has be overloaded but tapping onto this circuit somewhere in the crawlspace or attic area. My sister is a Realtor and when this issue is brought up, it seems to always be give back to the seller to resolve as it their issue to begin with and a potential safety problem. Some resolution can be worked out between all parties involved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.