Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #31
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 11
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Lights dim when Microwave runs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
That is not true. On overhead services the customer is usually responsible for everything past the service drop, including up to the meter and beyond.
You are correct EXCEPT if the problem lies within the pan. Most pans are locked by the utility to prevent theft of service. Most utilities will provide, with a permit number, a free pan to customers. The reason they do so is because if you or I go out and buy any ole pan, their meter may not fit and they are only worried about the revenue. AllanJ is spot on.

Shauni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:48 PM   #32
Master Electrician
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,951
Rewards Points: 2,158
Default

Lights dim when Microwave runs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauni View Post
You are correct EXCEPT if the problem lies within the pan. Most pans are locked by the utility to prevent theft of service. Most utilities will provide, with a permit number, a free pan to customers. The reason they do so is because if you or I go out and buy any ole pan, their meter may not fit and they are only worried about the revenue. AllanJ is spot on.
Sorry, we open meter sockets all the time when the need arises. They may be tagged but they are not locked. A utility is not going to make a repair in a meter socket when it is the customer's responsibility.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #33
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 11
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Lights dim when Microwave runs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jhon View Post
So I get hoe and see evidence of the power company being here. (Flashing clocks, meter tag cut off and on ground. So I run the microwave and I still have the problem. So I call the Power Company, and all they can tell me is that the case has been closed........ So they are going to send someone else out,,,,, ??

Did they charge ya $85?
Shauni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #34
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 20
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Lights dim when Microwave runs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauni View Post
Did they charge ya $85?
I have no clue. When I called back an hour ago, I just assumed they were coming back out tonight... Now I am not so sure...

My power company is leaving me in the dark (G)

Going to call them now, as my wife wants to go out to dinner. I won't go because I don't want to miss them.
jhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #35
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 11
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Lights dim when Microwave runs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
Sorry, we open meter sockets all the time when the need arises. They may be tagged but they are not locked. A utility is not going to make a repair in a meter socket when it is the customer's responsibility.
I guess it all depends on locations then. I know that if you drill out a barrel lock you will get crap for it. You can cut a seal but not a lock. The pan is off limits if it's locked. But hey, maybe not where u are. I'm in Jersey so who knows...Says it right on the meter, property of.....
Shauni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #36
I=E/R
 
a7ecorsair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,052
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Lights dim when Microwave runs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jhon View Post
So I get hoe and see evidence of the power company being here. (Flashing clocks, meter tag cut off and on ground. So I run the microwave and I still have the problem. So I call the Power Company, and all they can tell me is that the case has been closed........ So they are going to send someone else out,,,,, ??
If they send someone else out and they pull the meter that would be a good time to make sure everything in the panel is tight. In post 13 you had this:
Quote:
I did push on the wires about 6 inches away where it is insulated just to see if any of them were visibly loose. They seemed fine. The terminal moved a little but not the wire alone.
I'm not sure what you mean...
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:30 PM   #37
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 20
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Lights dim when Microwave runs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair View Post
If they send someone else out and they pull the meter that would be a good time to make sure everything in the panel is tight. In post 13 you had this:
I'm not sure what you mean...
I will do that...

What I meant is that I pushed on the three main wires coming into the box (Where they were coated and with an wood ruler) to see if the wires were not screwed down tight. They appeared to be tight.
jhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #38
Master Electrician
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,951
Rewards Points: 2,158
Default

Lights dim when Microwave runs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauni View Post
I guess it all depends on locations then. I know that if you drill out a barrel lock you will get crap for it. You can cut a seal but not a lock. The pan is off limits if it's locked. But hey, maybe not where u are. I'm in Jersey so who knows...Says it right on the meter, property of.....
You are correct. Around here the customer must provide the meter socket. I have never seen one locked.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:33 PM   #39
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 20
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Lights dim when Microwave runs.


Just spoke to customer service again. She told me the first guy that came out "re crimped the hot leads going into the box" Someone else will be out, but they don't know if it will be tonight or tomorrow. I hope they send someone different.
jhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #40
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 49
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Lights dim when Microwave runs.


Bricc where are you from fantasyland? Ive never seen a meter not barrel locked by the utility company. The utility company usually always provides the meters. Some of the stuff you say makes me suspect your validity of being an electrician.
jerseystyle26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:08 PM   #41
I=E/R
 
a7ecorsair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,052
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Lights dim when Microwave runs.


What is a barrel lock? I've owned and lived in several different houses in MN and all I've ever had was a seal.

Last edited by Gary in WA; 03-24-2011 at 11:06 PM. Reason: removed quote
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:34 PM   #42
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 49
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Lights dim when Microwave runs.


Its a little steel tab that clamps on the meter. Pair of chops and you can cut it off. Its just a tamper free device they use so people cant mess with the meters. If they notice one is missing when theyre doing their monthly rounds, you could get in trobule(hefty fine)
jerseystyle26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #43
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 978
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Lights dim when Microwave runs.


I've seen both seals and hard locks. In Oklahoma.

I believe one reason for not "hard securing" a meter could be for fire departments who need to cut power to a burning house.

Last edited by Gary in WA; 03-24-2011 at 11:06 PM. Reason: removed quote
jlmran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #44
Electrical Contractor
 
jbfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Newnan GA
Posts: 5,926
Rewards Points: 2,248
Default

Lights dim when Microwave runs.


Not every place has locks on the meter!

I have never encountered a lock, just a tag.


Where I live, the HO provides the meter pan, and the POCO supllies the meter.
__________________
Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years too late. "Jimmy Buffett"

Last edited by Gary in WA; 03-24-2011 at 11:07 PM. Reason: removed quote
jbfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:16 PM   #45
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 20
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Lights dim when Microwave runs.


Problem solved, but not without a struggle.... The neutral crimp connection at the roof had corroded.....

So I call the power company again this AM and they tell me that there is no record of my call last night but they will send someone out by noon. Then the dispatcher calls me and tells me I need an electrician they are not coming out again, she says it is probably in the pan. I ask why the guy that came out yesterday didnít say anything and she tells me she is not going to give me a lesson in electricity and we exchange more words and she says to call an electrician and she will send someone out the meet him. While I am on the phone with the electrician, she (The dispatcher) calls me back and tells me to cancel the electrician, they are sending someone out and can I meet him there.
So I meet the guy and he looks up at the leads coming into my house shakes his head. He then pops the meter. He puts this guage on it and it reads 120 each side. Then he flips a switch to run a fan motor that is part of the meter that puts a load on the system. One goes way up, and one goes way down.
Looks up again and tells me that the guy that came out yesterday replaced the crimp on one of the hot's where the pole wires come to the house. Shakes his head and said if he was only going to replace one, it should have been the neutral because that was obviously the problem. And wondered why the guy did not run the meter to make sure it was OK.
So he replaces all the crimps (Including the one the guy did yesterday) puts on the meter and now there is a one volt variance with a load, which he said is normal.
Looks like I was a victim of a lazy employee.

Looks like you guys hit it on the head. I just want to thank everyone for all the help I received on this forum. Without it I would not have had the knowledge to challenge the power company so they can get it right.

jhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem: Puck lights w/ touch-sensitive switch mapsedge Electrical 1 03-14-2011 08:20 AM
Low Voltage Exterior Stair Lights Jupe Blue Electrical 2 02-16-2011 07:28 AM
New lights in basement CooperChloe Electrical 11 01-11-2009 12:22 PM
adding lights mharwell01 Electrical 1 01-03-2009 04:59 PM
undercabinet puck lights ccalmonte Electrical 7 08-05-2008 09:25 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.