Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2012, 12:56 AM   #1

Share |

lights are on but now wont go out

ok so here is my problem i bought an old house and had to replace a light fixture that had 3 swivel lights on it there were 3 white wires and 3 black and 1 red i clipped the red on a friends advice and when i hit the breaker we had light problem is now it wont turn off not sure what to do so i took off the fixture and killed the breaker never had a problem like this before please help is the red supposed to be hooked up with the black or white or could it be something else??????????

drummer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:01 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer72 View Post
ok so here is my problem i bought an old house and had to replace a light fixture that had 3 swivel lights on it there were 3 white wires and 3 black and 1 red i clipped the red on a friends advice and when i hit the breaker we had light problem is now it wont turn off not sure what to do so i took off the fixture and killed the breaker never had a problem like this before please help is the red supposed to be hooked up with the black or white or could it be something else??????????

If there is a single red conductor there that more likey it is used for switched hot so take a quick peek at the switch box to see what colour you have there.

It should be both black et red that sound right if this is a feed thru switch set up.

Any other colours is hook up at the switch[s] stop and let us know right away due there is few combation to do this,

Let us know asap.

Merci,
Marc

drummer72 (03-05-2012)
Old 03-05-2012, 02:19 AM   #3

i looked at the switch box and there it was a bright red wire looking back at me so i guess i need to hook it up with the black wires right? i didnt get a chance to see if it was connected to the wite or black at the light when i took the fixture off the wires all but fell out it was pretty bad they didnt even use connectors they used duct tape i dont know much about electricity but man even i know you dont do that thanks so much for the help i am not used to dealing with electric problems and your help was appreciated
Old 03-05-2012, 04:23 AM   #4

Have you had a look at what color wires go to the switch,

The red wire is probably part of the switch loop,
I suspect that white and red should go to the light fixture,
and the black bundle of wires should be capped.

If you are not sure, have a look behind the switch
should be a black and a red.
dmxtothemax is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dmxtothemax For This Useful Post:
drummer72 (03-05-2012)
Old 03-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #5

Connect the new fixture to the whites and the single red. Leave the blacks connected together with no connection to the fixture.
drummer72 (03-05-2012)
Old 03-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #6

thanks for all the help i connected the white wires and connected the red to the black on the fixture and it works fine now couldnt have done it with out all the help from you

The Following User Says Thank You to drummer72 For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (03-06-2012)