Lighting A Wall Sconce From Two Sources - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 252

Lighting a Wall Sconce from Two Sources

I have a wall sconce on the outside of my detached garage wired into the garage door opener so it activates whenever the door is opened or someone crosses the garage motion sensors. As an afterthought, I would now like to also be able to just turn the light on by a switch, but would still like for it to be activated when the garage is opened too. Is it possible for me to do this?

Advertisement

smokey847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Yes, just wire a switch "in parallel" with that SAME CIRCUIT. If you are not familiar with how to do this, best to get an electrician. This is advanced electrical work.

Note: If another circuit was used, you could be creating a 240 volt short to the garage door opener and switch. (Opener and light is 120 volts...)

Advertisement

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,048

The following guarantees that the same source that feeds the garage door opener also feeds the new light switch.

Run a 14-2 cable from the new wall switch to the garage door opener. Connect the black wire to the garage door opener terminal to which the black wire to the light was connected.

Connect the white wire of the new cable to the terminal inside the garage door opener to which the power cable black wire was connected.

The cable going to the sconce fixture remains connected inside the garage door opener the way it was, except for the detail below.

If two wires want to go under one screw terminal in this example, connect only a 6 inch length of black wire to the screw. Wire nut the other end of this short length (pigtail) to the two wires in quesiton.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-06-2011 at 09:52 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:25 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,372

Are you familiar with a two way switch arrangement ?
Depending on the relay used,
If it is a SPDT then an electricain could reconfigure its wiring
to use the two way switch system.
Fully legal and fully safe if done properly by an electricain.

wiring two switchs in parallel might not be legal,
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote