Lighting My Tool Cabinet - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2011, 08:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

lighting my tool cabinet

I am building a tool cabinet and wanted to wire some lighting into it. I bought a rope light that plugs into the wall: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...57&R=100177957

and wanted to mount an illuminated push button switch on the outside of the cabinet to turn it on and off. So i bought this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...87#tabsetBasic

I guess this switch won't work and isn't rated for wall power? I was going to splice the switch into the power cord to the lights, but this probably isn't safe?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how i can accomplish my goal? thanks.

Advertisement

seanhavlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

lighting my tool cabinet

neither link are working for me, but I assume you have a 120v rope light and a 12v switch, this will work, right up to the point it burns your house down. you either need to use a 12v relay that will control 120v, that will also require a separate power supply for the low voltage side. your easiest solution is a proper toggle switch.

Advertisement

dhubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:44 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

lighting my tool cabinet

Hey Seanhavlik,
I am Gregg with the Home Depot in Chicago. Where is the outlet that the rope lighting is going to be plugged in at? Is it going to be in the cabinet or on the wall? The first solution that comes to mind is installing a light switch that controls the outlet. You can put the switch somewhere convenient to the work area, but ask an electrician how or have an electrician help you do it correctly. Another option, which is a little easier, is plugging the rope lighting into this lamp dimmer.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

This lamp dimmer can turn the rope lighting on and off and you can set the switch part anywhere. I hope this helps. If you have any other ideas or questions let me know. –Gregg
gotogregg is offline   Reply With Quote