Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2009, 03:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

Lighting in my garage?

I am in the process of building a 22'w x 24' with a 10' ceiling(sheetrocked) addition on my detached garage. I'm looking for some opinions on what to use for lighting. I plan on using this addition to restore an old pickup as a hobby. My 24'x24' garage has 6-8' double bulb flourescents from and old school that were cheap. I cannot seem to find such a deal now. I do not want to spend a fortune but I do want light. Tahnks.

wibass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

Lighting in my garage?

wibass, from experience rebuilding two older vehicles: Working inside the cab of a pickup is like working inside a box. YOU WILL NOT have enough lighting. I started out in my 24 x 36 shop, with ten foot ceiling, using the 48"-2 tube fixtures, three rows, spaced one foot apart end-to-end. I bought some initially and others as I could afford them. Not enough! Those "shop lights" with the regular bulb you can hang here and there- not really good enough. I wound up buying Halogen work lights when I found them on sale for like $4, hanging them from the ceiling on conduit so I could rotate them as needed.They are hot but sure put light where I needed it. Sometimes I wondered if there was such a thing as "enough lighting". I'd say go with what you have or can get and do as you need to do as each situation arises.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Lighting in my garage?

I have a 24x30 workshop with several of the typical 4' double bulb flourescent work lights. Those situated directly above work benches do pretty good. They are only good for general illumination in the open area of the shop.

I have two work lights on retractable reels located hung from the ceiling in the open work area - these are great to bring light to the specific work area. Like these, but from Sears Craftsman - http://www.amazon.com/Alert-500050GC...2773501&sr=1-1
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 262

Lighting in my garage?

In my 20x24 basement shop I installed 12 evenly spaced 4 outlet boxes controlled by a switch at the doors. I use 12 4' hanging florescent fixtures with electronic ballasts. Since they are not permently installed they are easily move where need as the shop evolves or special projects require.

I decided to do this because all of my storage racks, work bench and tool boxes are on casters and as I move them around the lighting requirements changed.

The only thing I would do differently if I did it again run two switch loops so each duplex outlets would be controlled independently in each box.

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Lighting in my garage?

Double-bulb 8' high output fluorescent strips can be a start. Be sure to use "cold temp" bulbs, as these are full 110 watts each.

For specific task lighting, I'd try a couple of those new-fangled super-high-output linear fluorescent fixtures.

It won't be cheap, but will be worth it.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:44 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Lighting in my garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegeSullivan View Post
In my 20x24 basement shop I installed 12 evenly spaced 4 outlet boxes controlled by a switch at the doors. I use 12 4' hanging florescent fixtures with electronic ballasts. Since they are not permently installed they are easily move where need as the shop evolves or special projects require.

I decided to do this because all of my storage racks, work bench and tool boxes are on casters and as I move them around the lighting requirements changed.

The only thing I would do differently if I did it again run two switch loops so each duplex outlets would be controlled independently.
This is similar to how I did mine - agreed, highly recommended as it makes it easy to add more lights or change lighting positions. I really like the idea of two switch loops to enable more or less lights as needed - wish I had done that!

vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote