Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2011, 09:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Lighting for a low ceiling

Hello all,

I have a finished basement, with two rooms, approximately 10X10, that each have 2 4 ft fluorescents, recessed into the ceiling. I thought I could do better, but the challenge is that the ceiling (textured drywall) is about 6'7".

I originally thought of replacing the fluorescents with two recessed lights, but the more I read, the more it sounds like recessed lights are not the way to go for low ceilings. Also, as I began to plan the wiring and patching of the ceiling, it just seemed that it would be a hassle to wire it up, cut the holes in the patch, wire it up, and secure everything with drywall screws, then tape and mud the drywall, and try to match the knockdown textured. I don't see a good way to patch it, cut the holes, and still have enough room for all the wiring that I need to do.

I have a piece of drywall cut (about 4 ft and the width of a fluorescent fixture) and not a lot of room to wire both lights, the switch, the incoming power, and a closet switch. I figured out the wiring (currently it is using 12/2 wiring), but not sure I want to tackle this if the result is going to be less than satisfying.

So, does anyone have experience with fitting can into this small space, wiring them up, and patching the drywall. If this is not the best way to go, what other lighting options might I work with, given the low clearance.

I have some hallway lights that are about 8x8, using CFL, have a glass lens, and are recessed. The bulbs are replaced by squeezing two pairs of wires and the lens and trim pops out. The box is secured with screws to the joists (8"). I have looked around for something like this, the advantage being that I could install them, wire them up, patch the drywall, then fit the lens unit over the drywall. However, I haven't been able to find this particular style.

I have read numerous ideas for low ceilings and there doesn't seem to be anything that I would call a best solution or an elegant solution. The easy way = leave the fluorescents, but I really don't like them. Maybe there is a more attractive recessed fluorsecent?

Thanks for any ideas that you may have.

manouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

You COULD replace the opening in the ceiling with a nice painted piece of plywood, and cut the new fixtures into that. Put a nice small trim over the joint, and you have saved gobs of patchwork!!

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:29 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply. Doesn't sound too aesthetically appealing to me. Also, I still need to deal with the wiring aspect of the job. Not much room to join all the two lights, the power, and the switches.
manouche is offline   Reply With Quote