Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #1

Share |

lighting junction box install

I took down a lighting fixture to upgrade and found out there is no junction box in the wall. I can put in a junction box as I have done it before. But the center point that matches up with the sink is a good 5 inches from the 2x4. How do I attach a junction box away from the 2x4 and then how would I patch up the reamining hole? Do I patch up the hole first then make cut out for box or put the box in first then patch. Here is a picture of what I have. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
lighting junction box install-bath-1.jpg  

H.O.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.O.P. View Post
I took down a lighting fixture to upgrade and found out there is no junction box in the wall. I can put in a junction box as I have done it before. But the center point that matches up with the sink is a good 5 inches from the 2x4. How do I attach a junction box away from the 2x4 and then how would I patch up the reamining hole? Do I patch up the hole first then make cut out for box or put the box in first then patch. Here is a picture of what I have. Thanks
What kind of light fixture is it?

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
Master Electrician

Perhaps you could use one of these.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #4

They make a metal bar that you install between two joists or studs and there is a junction box in the middle that can be slid back and forth to get to the position between joists/studs you want (but not directly on or too close).
Old 04-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #5

They also make an old work fan brace box that u put in a 4" round box hole and twist. It seperates from itself and locks onto the 2x4s
heartlessmcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #6

The light that is in there now is a flat panel 4light system that did not require a box. I guess when the builders drilled the hole they didnt relieze it wasnt centered. I am installing a simple fixture that requires a round plate attachment. My big concern is how to patch up the hole.
H.O.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.o.p. View Post
i took down a lighting fixture to upgrade and found out there is no junction box in the wall. I can put in a junction box as i have done it before. But the center point that matches up with the sink is a good 5 inches from the 2x4. How do i attach a junction box away from the 2x4 and then how would i patch up the reamining hole? Do i patch up the hole first then make cut out for box or put the box in first then patch. Here is a picture of what i have. Thanks
Cut the drywall square with a rotozip or jigsaw. (similar to orange box).

behind the drywall slip in a couple of furring strips - make sure they are not where the box needs to go (i.e. make sure box will go in between the 2 furring strips). Hold the furring strip tightly inside the wall, while driving in a screw from the outside, (where the brow line is, that is a screw, expect the red furring strip will be behind the drywall). Do this for each end of the furring strip.

Note the location of the furring with a pencil mark up higher on the wall or a measurement.

Cut a piece of rock that is as close of a fix as you can get. Put it in place. Drive screws into the furring strips and stud.

Use fiber tape on the edges and mud with a couple thin coats of durabond (durabond 20 or 30 is not for the inexperienced, get at least 60) or Plus3. Sand as necessary. Paint as necessary. Durabond is much more difficult to sand but makes a stronger finished surface. Plus3 is easy to sand and easy to work with, but has a long dry time and never gets all that hard.

lighting junction box install-fullscreen-capture-412011-40945-pm.jpg

When done (remember you kept track of where the furring strips are) cut a new hole for your old work box in between the strips.

Wire / attach fixture.

Note if this is a large or heavy fixture, a standard old work box in drywall may not be strong enough to support it. In that case, I would cut the hole larger, mount a 2x4 between the studs, get the depth right, screw a metal box to the 2x4, install the cable with a cable clamp, then cover with rock, cutting out the spot for the box. Still using furring strips as necessary to support the rock. Then patch / paint.

Good Luck

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote