Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Lighting Installation

Hi all -

I recently bought a house and I'm in the process of updating some fixtures and other smaller items. I am currently looking at replacing most of the lighting fixtures in the first story of the house. The problem I'm running into is that the previous owner had a lot of strip lighting/track lighting that was mounted directly to the ceiling, without using a ceiling box. The ceiling is wood, and so I'm not sure about cutting through it to install a ceiling box. Plus, the wiring is not run through the floor, it comes out of the walls and runs directly to the light fixture(stapled along the ceiling).

The wire runs are fairly short, say 2-3 feet and I can find something to cover them up with. I'm not too concerned with the wiring since it runs along the support beams and you can't really see it. My main question is if they make a product that would enable me to install new lighting fixtures without boring out a hole for a ceiling box. I hope this is not miscategorized and I hope my explanation is clear. Thanks for all and any advice.

Hardlyable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,498

Lighting Installation

If there is only a singel cable then you could use a pancake box mounted to the wood. A pancake box is a very thin electrical box. It is only about 3/4 inch thick.

Last edited by joed; 10-04-2008 at 10:45 AM.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Lighting Installation

That was simple enough, now i just feel foolish! Thanks Joe!
Hardlyable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Lighting Installation

No need to feel foolish. There's also a product called wire mold, I believe, you can use to cover the exposed wires should you choose to do so. Might be a bit more appealing to the eye than the wires.