DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Lighting Installation

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bjbatlanta 
#1 ·
Hi all -

I recently bought a house and I'm in the process of updating some fixtures and other smaller items. I am currently looking at replacing most of the lighting fixtures in the first story of the house. The problem I'm running into is that the previous owner had a lot of strip lighting/track lighting that was mounted directly to the ceiling, without using a ceiling box. The ceiling is wood, and so I'm not sure about cutting through it to install a ceiling box. Plus, the wiring is not run through the floor, it comes out of the walls and runs directly to the light fixture(stapled along the ceiling).

The wire runs are fairly short, say 2-3 feet and I can find something to cover them up with. I'm not too concerned with the wiring since it runs along the support beams and you can't really see it. My main question is if they make a product that would enable me to install new lighting fixtures without boring out a hole for a ceiling box. I hope this is not miscategorized and I hope my explanation is clear. Thanks for all and any advice.

#4 ·
No need to feel foolish. There's also a product called wire mold, I believe, you can use to cover the exposed wires should you choose to do so. Might be a bit more appealing to the eye than the wires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.