Lighting Indoor Swimming Pool - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

lighting indoor swimming pool

VA res Code and IRC required luminaries no closer than 5 ft from highest water level, and no closer thatn 5ft from inner pool wall. What are my options for lighting over the pool area in this scenario? I have an 18ft by 13 ft basement and daughter with arthritis and want to put in therapy pool in my basement. Fiber Optic lights are super expensive, Wet location rated LEDs are only 14.6 watt 115v and put out 65 watts of light bulb power, but nothing I have let me put lights in my 8ft basement ceiling? Any ideas or ways around this?

Advertisement

Tamsin97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

I wouldn't install a pool in my basement, regardless what you think. Worst case is, the mold spores in the space will reactive and start wrecking havoc on the house, let alone the humidity from the pool, and noise from the equipment. Unless the space was built for a pool in mind, best to keep them where they belong, and that is outdoors, or in a space built specifically for a pool in mind.

Advertisement

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,864

Is the pool flush with the floor or is it raised? Flush with the floor it should be easy to get the required clearance.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:36 PM   #4

I'd love to have it outside but I have no yard. Agree with you on that score.

It is flat on the slab, but the sidw height is 52inches and that leaves only 4 ft of overhead space.
Tamsin97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

You are going to have to use sidewall watertight lights then. That means conduit & watertight fittings. Also, will need to run a dehumidifier, have a alarm in the space to warm of possible flooding, etc. Also check with the home owner's insurance, because they may not cover you with the pool in a space that is not made for it.

It may just even be easier to just check with a few nursing homes in the area that may have a pool there, that she could use. A couple around us in our town charge a nominal fee for those people wishing to use the pool for therapy.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:51 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
It is flat on the slab, but the sidw height is 52inches and that leaves only 4 ft of overhead space.
This sounds like an above ground pool your planning to use. It also sounds like you plan to build it on top of your basement floor, Do you know how much this pool is going to weigh when it's full....way more than your floor will support. I agree with everyone else about humidity and mold.....it WILL ruin your house.

But if you must do it why not just use indoor lamps plugged into gfi protected outlets placed at a safe distance from the pools edge. Then light the pool for user safety with a pentair aqualuminator light or smartpool nightlighter, Both are for use in above ground pools.
STL B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #7

i`d be looking into low voltage units,and a dehumidifier.

Advertisement

jck13748 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement , ceiling , indoor , lighting , swimming pool