Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Lighting fixture wont turn off

I recently replaced the fixture in my downstairs bathroom. Once installed, it wouldnt shut off. Even when I tried shutting off the power to the bathroom through my circuit breaker, the lights were still on. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I recently replaced the fixture in my downstairs bathroom. Once installed, it wouldnt shut off. Even when I tried shutting off the power to the bathroom through my circuit breaker, the lights were still on. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?
what kind of fixture? Fluorescent, Incandescent, or?

the only explanation for what you describe (if you are sure the circuit breaker is the right one) would be a fluorescent with an emergency ballast -- the E.B. kicks in when the power goes off.

Otherwise, you may want to check your wiring -- something is not right there.

danster44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #3

Hi Danster,
They were fluorescent bulbs. As far as wiring, the fixture came with a black wire, a white wire as well as a ground wire. i connected white to white, black to black a connected the ground wire. In the ceiling there was a red wire which I capped and tucked away into the ceiling.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 94

Quote:
Hi Danster,
They were fluorescent bulbs. As far as wiring, the fixture came with a black wire, a white wire as well as a ground wire. i connected white to white, black to black a connected the ground wire. In the ceiling there was a red wire which I capped and tucked away into the ceiling.
Well, sorry to tell you this, but you hooked it up incorrectly. Try to pull out of your brain, how the previous light fixture was hooked up. If can not remember, suggest going to the wall that the switches are on, and look at the wiring on the switch that is supposed to control that light. Bet you that the Red is the wire that controls it, and the black is a feeder for another circuit.

You are welcome to post pictures of what it is up in the light box.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:23 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Gregzoll is right on the target and also what really compound it that you may have MWBC ( Multi Wire Branch Circuit ) there as well so you will have to find a second breaker to shut it off and I am suprised you did not get hit from that one as well so s.v.p. double check the circuit you plan to work on to make sure they are off.

One tool you can use is NCV ( Non Concat Voltage ) tester however becarefull sometime it can give a false signal so be aware with it they cost about 10 to 15 Euros thereabout price range once you hit the correct breaker then follow Gregzoll's details on that.

Then update the breaker panel and note of MWBC there.

Merci,
Marc
Old 10-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 94

Marc, that is how I did the light over the sink. Ran 14/3 to the kitchen light, then 14/2 to the sink light to run a switch leg. Black feeds the sink light, red is the leg to control the kitchen light.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote