Lighting Cuts Out - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2004, 05:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Lighting cuts out

Can you help? My upstairs and downstairs lights intermittently but several times every minute flash as if I have mini power cuts of less than a second.
Nothing else electric is affected. The clocks do not flash as if a power cut and my TV (normally sensitive to any power fluctuation) does not cut out.
It does appear to be only the lighting. I have checked the fuses, but they are on separate fuses so it cannot be this.
Can you advise what it may be? Should I contact the electric board or an electrician?
Should I panic - is it dangerous?:confused:

Advertisement

imported_Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 06:19 PM   #2
Aussie Battler

Lighting cuts out

Hi Tony,

Get your Local Electrician in as soon as possible, if you have a bad connection in a circuit breaker not so bad, if you have old wiring or bad connection in a fitting or switch very very bad.
Not worth thinking about a lot of house fires start this way, in the mean time turn off the circuit breaker.

Cheers Alan

Advertisement

imported_Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 01:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Lighting cuts out

Hi Tony

Not to panic but yes it can be very dangerous. I would get the circuit looked at as soon as possible. What is most likely happening is the circuit is arcing somewhere, This will cause heat and arcing and eventually can cause a FIRE. Something like this is slightly safer within conduit but who knows what can happen.

Alan wrote:
Quote:
Not worth thinking about a lot of house fires start this way, in the mean time turn off the circuit breaker.
Very Good Advice! Turn it off until service can be performed.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:48 PM   #4

Thumbs up

Lighting cuts out

Many thanks for the replies. I finally got it sorted. In the end the electric board came out and installed a meter to monitor it. I was away for two weeks so turned the electric off. When I came home there was a huge hole in the road outside the house. Apparently there had been a short in the cable outside.
imported_Tony is offline   Reply With Quote