Lighting Can Wiring - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 522

Lighting can Wiring

What is the appropriate way to wire a seriese of can lights? Does each light need to go back to a junction box or can the lights dasiychain from each other? All lights are on the same circuit of course... I have the newer can lights that have the quick wiring clips that you just stick the wire into and its done... they have three holes on each can for wires... can I wire one light then run the romex to the next light from that lights box? or is it better to run each light to a junction box? (this is for a drop ceiling)... right now the lights in the room all run to a junction box tacked to the joist.. but I am replacing the T-8 fixtures with recessed lighting so that's all coming out

Advertisement

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
Inspector/Instructor

Rewards Points: 250

Lighting can Wiring

I assume this installation is in a residence.
NM Cable is not allowed above a drop ceiling in a commercial application per the NEC.

Yes you can go from one fixture to the next. The Junction boxes on recessed cans are listed for that application.

Advertisement

codeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #3

Lighting can Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeone View Post
I assume this installation is in a residence.
NM Cable is not allowed above a drop ceiling in a commercial application per the NEC.

Yes you can go from one fixture to the next. The Junction boxes on recessed cans are listed for that application.

By NM I'd assume you mean Romex type cable? Right now they used BX cable in the cieling but their wiring is awful... they just took the metal sheething off and then ran about 2 ft of exposed wire into a plastic junction box... its not even connected to the BX's metal in any way... if I was to do it I'd think you'd of used a metal junction box then directly attached the BX to that junction... but I was thinking use Romex cable since it is a residance and it just is easier to use and install
Old 01-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
Inspector/Instructor

Lighting can Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
By NM I'd assume you mean Romex type cable? Right now they used BX cable in the cieling but their wiring is awful... they just took the metal sheething off and then ran about 2 ft of exposed wire into a plastic junction box... its not even connected to the BX's metal in any way... if I was to do it I'd think you'd of used a metal junction box then directly attached the BX to that junction... but I was thinking use Romex cable since it is a residance and it just is easier to use and install
Yes NM is proper name for Romex. Romex is a trade name.
If you are using BX or MC cable you have to terminate it with proper connectors and hook up the grounds to a metal box.

Some areas of the country dont allow NM in residances. If uit is allowed in your area its the way to go thats the easiest.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
Inspector/Instructor

Lighting can Wiring

Whoever did the original install most likely bought the lay in fixtures with whips on the fixtures then did not install them properly. NOT SAFE
Old 01-04-2010, 03:50 PM   #6

Lighting can Wiring

Quote:
Yes NM is proper name for Romex. Romex is a trade name.
If you are using BX or MC cable you have to terminate it with proper connectors and hook up the grounds to a metal box.

Some areas of the country dont allow NM in residances. If uit is allowed in your area its the way to go thats the easiest.
yeah the people who installed this definatly did not terminate it correctly, actually they never terminated it... it just stops in mid air then the hot / neutral / group wires run 2 ft by themselves (no protection on them) to an open junction box... I have NO idea how this room passed inspection when they finished it, and you'll love this, the electrical was certified as correct! going by the reports I have.....
Old 01-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #7
Inspector/Instructor

Lighting can Wiring

Quote:
. I have NO idea how this room passed inspection when they finished it, and you'll love this, the electrical was certified as correct! going by the reports I have.....
They got inspections to finish the basement? And it Passed?
Old 01-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #8

Lighting can Wiring

Quote:
Whoever did the original install most likely bought the lay in fixtures with whips on the fixtures then did not install them properly. NOT SAFE
You're telling me....

I have found numerous problems that I'd assume are major code violations....

heck they had one switch down there that no one knew what it did when we bought the house... (the owners had no clue!) well i followed it in a loop (littearly) though 3 junctions then all the sudden it had a coil of wire laying in the drop cieling... started puling it out and oh my gawd there was a metal junction box on the end of it and the hot and neutral wires sticking straight up out of it BARE! not connected to anything and not capped off! glad I turned off the power before snooping around to find it that day.... and this house is only around 10yrs old!

just to get it out of the way I connected it to a can light and wired it up... and it works so the switch definatly went to that line..... ugh
Old 01-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #9

Lighting can Wiring

Quote:
They got inspections to finish the basement? And it Passed?
yep it somehow passed.... im shocked now that I'm going through it piece by piece looking for anything that is wrong...

heck the walls arnt even insulated... which our local code wants R-10 foam then walled over from what i've been told...

and just think this all started with me trying to figure out where that darn switch that did nothing went.... from that day its been a wtf is this? train wreck
Old 01-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #10
Inspector/Instructor

Lighting can Wiring

Very shocked at the incompetence that you seem to have found.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:02 PM   #11

Lighting can Wiring

Quote:
Very shocked at the incompetence that you seem to have found.
I need to take pictures and post them, it's almost to hard to believe unless you see it heck just yesterday I noticed they cut a 2x10 joist 80% of the way down so there is room for the bathtub drain trap and put NO reinforcing on it... its just a notch 8inches deep and 5 inches wide then about 1inch of joist left........
Old 01-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #12
Inspector/Instructor

Lighting can Wiring

Quote:
I need to take pictures .
Always document!
Old 01-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #13

Lighting can Wiring

I wish I new who the contractor and electrical contractor was for this basement... I'd love to have a word with them.... not the company, I know that, they are out of business (what a shock)... but the actual people

Last edited by BlueBSH; 01-04-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #14

Lighting can Wiring

here is a picture from a little bit of a distance... the plastic junction... the wires hanging out ... the BX running to it then metal removed... wire running out to the box... (hard to see in the pic but it does...) BX not mounted in anyway...
Attached Thumbnails
Lighting can Wiring-230.jpg  
Old 01-04-2010, 08:41 PM   #15
Inspector/Instructor

Lighting can Wiring

Quote:
here is a picture from a little bit of a distance... the plastic junction... the wires hanging out ... the BX running to it then metal removed... wire running out to the box... (hard to see in the pic but it does...) BX not mounted in anyway...
This kind of thing happens far to often.

Advertisement