Light Works, Fan Doesn't - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Light Works, Fan Doesn't

Here's the deal. I am installing a ceiling fan/light and can't get the fan motor to work from the pullchain. I'm replacing a chandelier but previously there was a fan/light combo in this outlet. (Before you ask, no I didn't write down the configuration of the old wiring because I'm an idiot.) I have four wires coming from the box. One green, one tan, two black. From the fan I have white, black, and blue. I've connected the blue to one of the blacks and it operates via the switch. (Grounds are connected.) The white is connected to the tan. When I connect the last two blacks, the motor on the fan does not work. It doesn't work at the switch or at the pull chain. (I know the motor is functioning as I connected it to the black switch wire previously and it worked.)

Is it possible that the light fixture is wired incorrectly? I haven't undone that portion but I don't see how that would affect the fan's motor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Stacie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,354

Light Works, Fan Doesn't

Are there 2 wall switches?

To test the fan, connect it to the same black as the light. With the light on, the fan should work off the pull chain.

Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Light Works, Fan Doesn't

To confirm....you took the black for the fan and connected it to the black incoming that 'was' connected to the blue wire (lights)....and the fan worked? If so...fan is ok....your wires in the fan are right....

I agree with rjniles...the other incoming black must go to another switch.

BTW...that tan wire is actually white....it has just turned that color from age....that is how all the whites are in my house....let me guess....you have that black cloth/tar coverd wire?....with no ground?
jeepdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Light Works, Fan Doesn't

If you don't mind pullchain operation you can connect the fan and the light to the black from the switch. You'll just have manually turn them off if you want one or the other left on.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,382

Light Works, Fan Doesn't

It would appear that the one black from the ceiling has no power or takes power somewhere else.
You said you connected the fan to the other black coming from the wall switch and it worked.

If you connect the black wire from the fan and the blue wire from the light dome to the black that has power in the ceiling (3 wires together) can you operate the fan and light from the pull chains with the wall switch on?

BTW you should never work on electricity without a voltage tester ... it might just save your life. So find a way that you know there is no power to that fixture. If you accidently leave the switch on ..... Just saying ... stay focused ...

Last edited by Stubbie; 08-17-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #6

Light Works, Fan Doesn't

Thanks for all of the replies. I love how fast this forum is and everyone is helpful!

To answer some questions:
Rjniles: Just one wall switch.

Jeepdawg: You guessed right! We've got cloth covered wire everywhere and, at times, it can be tricky to figure out what is what. Thanks

Stubie and Andrew79: I'm going to try and wire the light and switch to the motor (the blue from fan, black from fan, and seemingly HOT black from outlet.) I'm assuming I should cover the black that doesn't work and just leave it be? Or should I wire it together with the others? I just can't figure out what that is for. Also Stubie, I SHOULD get a voltage tester, you're right. That's on my Lowe's list!
Old 08-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #7

Light Works, Fan Doesn't

Stacie....voltage testers is a whole new subject....

One thing you will hear echoed by most experts, the non-contact 'pens' are 'ok' for quick tests but are not 100%. You can have a long run that even though there is not live voltage on it, there is enough induced AC so that the pen says there is power. I have a couple of Fluck pens and I false detections even with them.

If you don't have a multimeter...now is a good time....eleminates a lot of guess work....and you can use it to test other stuff.

Sears and Radio Shack sell some cheap ones....they work...until you drop them....AMHIK....

I have two good meters...and HP and a Fluke....my Fluke was over $300...in your case, a $100 meter should do you well.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Light Works, Fan Doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacie View Post
Thanks for all of the replies. I love how fast this forum is and everyone is helpful!

To answer some questions:
Rjniles: Just one wall switch.

Jeepdawg: You guessed right! We've got cloth covered wire everywhere and, at times, it can be tricky to figure out what is what. Thanks

Stubie and Andrew79: I'm going to try and wire the light and switch to the motor (the blue from fan, black from fan, and seemingly HOT black from outlet.) I'm assuming I should cover the black that doesn't work and just leave it be? Or should I wire it together with the others? I just can't figure out what that is for. Also Stubie, I SHOULD get a voltage tester, you're right. That's on my Lowe's list!
Yep cap it off for now .. if you have something that isn't working somewhere else in the house post back....
Old 08-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Light Works, Fan Doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdawg View Post
Stacie....voltage testers is a whole new subject....

One thing you will hear echoed by most experts, the non-contact 'pens' are 'ok' for quick tests but are not 100%. You can have a long run that even though there is not live voltage on it, there is enough induced AC so that the pen says there is power. I have a couple of Fluck pens and I false detections even with them.

If you don't have a multimeter...now is a good time....eleminates a lot of guess work....and you can use it to test other stuff.

Sears and Radio Shack sell some cheap ones....they work...until you drop them....AMHIK....

I have two good meters...and HP and a Fluke....my Fluke was over $300...in your case, a $100 meter should do you well.
She doesn't need to spend 100 bucks .... maybe 15.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Light Works, Fan Doesn't

Cap off the unused black.

I have two fluke meters and I only paid 140 for the pair. You got ripped off at 300.

For the once in awhile diy'r a cheapo 15 to 30 meter should be fine as long as you don't throw it around.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #11

Light Works, Fan Doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubie View Post
She doesn't need to spend 100 bucks .... maybe 15.
Why not? Cheaper than a pair of shoes....she can even get one to match her outfit......
Old 08-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #12
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Light Works, Fan Doesn't

To explain the black wire

In old homes you never know .... However in your case I suspect it goes to the switch box with the switch your using for the light and is not connected. If that is the case then you have the option to install a combination switch that will allow you to have a wall switch for the light and a wall switch for the fan giving you independent control of either with out using the pull chains.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #13

Light Works, Fan Doesn't

Okay, it works! Thanks for all of the help. One more thing....when it's on the highest setting it buzzes. The lowest is really quiet. Advice?
Old 08-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #14
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Light Works, Fan Doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacie View Post
Okay, it works! Thanks for all of the help. One more thing....when it's on the highest setting it buzzes. The lowest is really quiet. Advice?
Don't use high ....

Not sure ... what model fan are you using?

BTW ... I gotta go for awhile other will reply just be patient.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 610

Light Works, Fan Doesn't

I'd check the fan wall switch. They may have disconnected it and left it in to fill the space.

Advertisement