Light Turns Itself Off - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2014, 10:57 AM   #1
psp

Rewards Points: 10

Light turns itself off

So we had a new furnace and AC unit installed. However, our kitchen light now works for only about 10 minutes and then turns it self off for about 30 minutes. The problem started right after the furnace and ac install. Is this a coincidence? Separate breakers etc... I am confused.

I replaced the switch - nothing changed.

I don't have any instruments to test the power to the light etc...

Could it be the light itself. It is a chandelier style with multiple bulbs. Has worked perfectly for about 5 years until the new AC / furnace install - very odd. Can lights regulate themselves and turn themselves off for a time period? Why?

Maybe I need a need a new kitchen light? The light was expensive however. Odd that it all started right after the install of the furnace and ac

Ideas on how to fix this?

Thank you

Advertisement

Last edited by psp; 06-16-2014 at 11:03 AM.
psp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
Rob

Rewards Points: 552

Light turns itself off

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp View Post
So we had a new furnace and AC unit installed. However, our kitchen light now works for only about 10 minutes and then turns it self off for about 30 minutes. The problem started right after the furnace and ac install. Is this a coincidence? Separate breakers etc... I am confused.

Could it be the light itself. It is a chandelier style with multiple bulbs. Has worked perfectly for about 5 years until the new AC / furnace install - very odd. Can lights regulate themselves and turn themselves off for a time period? Why?

Maybe I need a need a new kitchen light? The light was expensive however. Odd that it all started right after the install of the furnace and ac

Thank you
You need either a electrician, a tester, or try replacing the light or bulb.
I don't know what other advice to give.

Advertisement

Robpo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Light turns itself off

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp View Post

Thank you
I'd bet a loose connection in the circuit to the light fixture.... current flow heats up the connection and it comes loose enough to break the circuit. Once the connection cools down, it works again. The recent AC work may be a red herring (perhaps the installers were in the attic and jarred the junction box enough to make a poor connection even worse).

I'd start by killing the breaker to that fixture, taking it down and examining the connections in the ceiling box. If it is a poor connection, you'll probably be able to tell based on charred wire nuts/wire insulation. If it, clip a little off the wire ends, restrip them and then remake the connections with new wirenuts. Make sure the box is grounded (if there is a loose connection, a properly grounded box could be the difference between a tripped breaker and a fire).
clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,572

Light turns itself off

Quote:
Originally Posted by clashley View Post
I'd bet a loose connection in the circuit to the light fixture.... current flow heats up the connection and it comes loose enough to break the circuit. Once the connection cools down, it works again. The recent AC work may be a red herring (perhaps the installers were in the attic and jarred the junction box enough to make a poor connection even worse).

I'd start by killing the breaker to that fixture, taking it down and examining the connections in the ceiling box. If it is a poor connection, you'll probably be able to tell based on charred wire nuts/wire insulation. If it, clip a little off the wire ends, restrip them and then remake the connections with new wirenuts. Make sure the box is grounded (if there is a loose connection, a properly grounded box could be the difference between a tripped breaker and a fire).

Sounds good.

I would check panel connections, and other easier to get to points before dropping the fixture.

You said both chandelier and high hats, so check boxes that would be common to both.

Yes you will need a tester, and you might want to trouble shoot when it's out.
ritelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:20 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,394

Light turns itself off

For sure it's a loose joint/splice somewhere.
Before with a reletively light load it was working,
But now with the extra load on the circuit it becomes an issue !
Could even be a loose/faulty breaker.
But the concept remains the same.
dmxtothemax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:38 AM   #6
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

Light turns itself off

Unless the wiring for the light is near the wiring for the furnace, it's very likely the breaker. Breakers do fail. It's possible yours was on it's way out. And when they were figuring out which breaker controlled the furnace they turned off the one for the lighting. This could have revealed the sorry state of that breaker. There's next to nothing they could have done to it to damage it. Fortunately most of them are relatively cheap and easy to replace.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,572

Light turns itself off

Not to say that breakers don't fail. BUT, I've NEVER had a troubleshooting call and the fix was replacing a bad breaker.(single pole 15's,20's)
Maybe a loose connection at the breaker , neutral, or in the field. faulty switches, back stabbing, etc.. etc..
Again, not that it doesn't happen.
(would a breaker heat up, turn off, then cool down and turn back on?)

I must mention that I will check though to make sure all the breakers do have power on them (you never know).

Check the panel.

edit: As mentioned, could be coincidence the ac install and that circuit. Just came back from a service call where lighting in laundry/bath was out.
Cause, back stabbed receptacle two rooms away.

good luck

Advertisement

Last edited by ritelec; 06-17-2014 at 11:39 AM.
ritelec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ritelec For This Useful Post:
wkearney99 (06-17-2014)