Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2007, 10:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Light switches

Hi, can anyone advise please.
My main light in the dining room stopped working a few weeks ago. When we pressed the light switch nothing happened. A couple of days later i switched it on and it worked again. Everything was fine until last night when we switched the light on in the living room and nothing happened.
Anyone know whats wrong?

jules81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:33 AM   #2

Light switches

So you have a light in the dinning room and a light in the living room not working? Or just the dinning room light on a 3way switch not working? I would say a bad switch or loose wire connection either at the switch or at the light. If it is a 3way switch the travelers could be wired wrong but unless this is new i would think you would have noticed this before. If it is a three way switch try turning one switch and the the other and see if you can get it to work.

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:51 AM   #3

Light switches

Assuming these are seperate switches for each light and not three ways. Pull out switch in dining room. Make sure the wires on switch are not loose. Make sure all the wires in the switch box are connected. Look for a wire that may be ready to come out of the wire nuts or one that has come out.
There may be wires in this box that provide power for the other light.
If everything looks good, go two the second switch (living room) and repeat the steps I just mentioned. You can always connect the two (2) switch wires together, to verify you have a complete circuit. The light should come on. If the light does not come on you have a lose wire somewhere. I will bet it is in one of these switch boxes.
If you are not comfortable doing this, then call someone who is. Good luck
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote