Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #1

Share |

light switch won't turn off light

I decided to replace an old ceiling fan in a bedroom. My house was built in the 40's so it has the old school wiring where every outlet and switch is at a junction in the ceiling light fixture. Every thing is two wires with the braided cloth around them and no ground. There are two outlets and one light switch in the room. There are five black wires and five white wires in the junction box at the fixture. So I wired the blue and black from the ceiling fan with the blacks and the white to the whites. I turned on the breaker and the light and fan work but they are unable to turn off with the switch. I looked at the switch and there are only two wires running to it. My guess is that it is connected to constant power but I'm unsure how to properly wire it so that the switch will control it. I tried to wire the light to just the switch wires separately but of course there was no power at all.
I figured out what the five wire sets go to. One to each of the two outlets in the room. One to the light switch. One is power coming into the room. And one goes out to the other room and bathroom to power those rooms. I know it powers those rooms because I disconnected the one that goes into the bathroom and other room and sure enough there was no power in either. Also the ceiling fixtures in the bathroom and other rooms in the house don't have 5 wires in the junction box, just two. Just this room has 5. Not sure if this room is the first stop from the breaker box or not.
And yes I made the mistake of not remembering the way it was wired in the first place and It was along time before I got everything right (hots with hots and neutrals with neurtrals) because in these old houses the wires are not different colors. A least not anymore.
So how do I get this to work properly? Thanks for your input.

Last edited by nredburn; 11-13-2012 at 09:13 PM.
nredburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

You need to connect the fixture blacks to the switched hot from the switch.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Take the set of wires going to the switch and at the fixture connect the white in that set to the other blacks (not the fixture black). Take the fixture black and connect it to the black in the set coming from the switch.
Connect all the other whites together including the white from the light fixture. Use this diagram as your guide. It is prudent and code required to identify using the white wire to the switch as a hot wire by marking it black at each termination end.
Attached Thumbnails
light switch won't turn off light-switch-loop.jpg  
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stubbie For This Useful Post:
nredburn (11-19-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubie View Post
Take the set of wires going to the switch and at the fixture connect the white in that set to the other blacks (not the fixture black). Take the fixture black and connect it to the black in the set coming from the switch.
Connect all the other whites together including the white from the light fixture. Use this diagram as your guide. It is prudent and code required to identify using the white wire to the switch as a hot wire by marking it black at each termination end.
I followed the directions and the diagram but there is no power going to the light. I flipped the switch and nothing happened.
White from switch to blacks in the fixture box. Black from light fixture to black from light switch. And white from light fixture to whites in the fixture box. Now what.
nredburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Due you have 5 cables in that box which I call 5 pairs so therefore you will need a basic DVM and what you will do here I will post it clear.,

A) turn the power source off first.
Done ? Next.,,

B) Unbundle all the 5 pairs and keep them seperated.
Done? Next.,

C) Get the DVM and set to ohms scale and touch the probe on each other you should see it drop to near zero or on zero marking or display "0" or very low number. Done? Next.,

D) leave the wall switch off first and ring it out one will show zero but once you run the basic test then turn the switch back on and do again and see the differnce once you find that did chane the value on DVM and move the pair back a little so you know that is a switch loop once you did find it stop right there .,

E) this part will be little tricky at first but verify the switch if there is only 2 conductors if so you are safe on that spot any more than that stop right there and post it back. Done? next.,

F) One conductor from the switch loop ( you may have to find which one is lighter colour that useally a netural ) and tie all togther with the black or hot conductors and wirenut it. that part is done now for netural aka white wire or light colour conductor take one from your fan conductor which it will be white and wirenut together and push it back that part is done., next is get that single conductor you got from the switch loop and take that one to tie together with your fan black / bleu ( If have it there ) wirenut it together and Voila that is done.

G) turn the breaker back on you should have it working properly if not check the switch sometime it can go bad so if that the case replace it as well but follow the rules #A first .,

Hope that clear up I know it bit of overwording but once you get it done right it should be the same as Stubie photo beside you have 5 cables basically the same thing.

Bon Chance.

Merci,
Marc