Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #1

Share |

light switch wiring question.

I am installing a porch light on the wife's garden shed. I already have ceiling lights and a single switch for them beside the door. I have done some wiring before but do not understand what the "electricians" did on ceiling light job. The switch is in the middle of the run. It has 2 black wires attatched to it. I know one is the feed to the switch and the other goes from the switch to the ceiling lights. There are no white(nuetral) wires or ground wire. I can run the EMT and pull one black #12 to the new porch light, but how do i hook up the new (additional) switch? Do i need to pull a nuetral and ground also? Can i just take a short piece of #12 and connect to the hot feed wire and then connect to the new switch? I can hook all this up, i just not sure which is the best and safest way. Sorry this is so long. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

dannat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #2

Sounds like the shed might be wired with conduit. If that is the case then you only pull the wires you need into the conduit. The white doesn't need to go to the switch only the hots.
For your new light you would add a new black wire for the new light and pull power from the wire that is feeding the existing switch. You will need find the neutral for the light. It will be at the current fixture.

Last edited by joed; 05-05-2011 at 07:21 AM.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:44 AM   #3
Scared Electrician

so this is all in conduit? The conduit if properly done can be used as the ground, but you MUST still have a neutral. And unless I miss my guess from what you are describing sounds like they are using the pipe as a return path(neutral)

Please follow the code - its there for your safety no matter how inconvenient.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #4

Yes, everything is in metal conduit. So i need to pull just black hot wire for new light and just jump small piece of wire from one switch to the other. And i need to pull a neutral for existing fixture and new fixture? I hope i havent clouded the issue even more. Thanks for everyone's help. I love this electrical stuff.
dannat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
Licensed electrician

The fixtures will need a neutral in order to operate. The neutrals will not need to be run to the switches since you have conduit.