Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #16
Member
 
Missouri Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Almost Arkansas
Posts: 2,764
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Light Switch Wires Help. Really Confused


Is that wire bare in the center of the black wires? Turn off the power assuring it is off with a meter or contact tester and open up any fixture or device that is switched at that location and see what wires go where, including the light which works. Make note of where everything goes, including the white wires and get back to us. Is this cable or individual wires in conduit?

__________________
Do you want it your way or the right way?
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #17
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 20
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Light Switch Wires Help. Really Confused


Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
Is that wire bare in the center of the black wires? Turn off the power assuring it is off with a meter or contact tester and open up any fixture or device that is switched at that location and see what wires go where, including the light which works. Make note of where everything goes, including the white wires and get back to us. Is this cable or individual wires in conduit?
The only wires not labeled are the 5 white wires which are pigtailed together and then a bunch of copper wires tied together which look like the ground type wires. All of these wires comes from 3 different feeds from the back of the wall plate.
Sandman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #18
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 20
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Light Switch Wires Help. Really Confused


Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Do you have the old switch?
yes. i have the old one and can test with it, if needed. thanks!
Sandman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,558
Rewards Points: 2,024
Default

Light Switch Wires Help. Really Confused


Based on your descriptions, below is what could be happening. If #5 is your only HOT wire, that needs to be pigtailed to both switches.

You already know for sure which wire feeds the skylight. That is wire #6.

You need to determine which wire feeds the simple kitchen light. In my diagram I depict that as wire #4.

The other wires #1, #2 and #3, I believe, based on your descriptions that this is not a 3-way circuit, are feedin power to other devices. But based on this, you should have 3 other devices not functioning not only 1 which you say is an other kitchen light.

NOTE:
I did not show ground wires for ease of drawing
I did not show the white wires going in the cable with the black wires #1, #2 and #3.
Attached Thumbnails
Light Switch Wires Help. Really Confused-2-20switch-202-20fans.jpg  

Last edited by hammerlane; 01-05-2013 at 07:46 AM.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,558
Rewards Points: 2,024
Default

Light Switch Wires Help. Really Confused


to determine which f the unknown wires is feeding the simple kitchen lite use a multimeter set to ohms. Touch one lead to each unknown wire at the switch box location and touch the other lead to the black wire of the simple kitchen light fixture. Use a piece of wire attached to the leads of the lead if you need distance to span.

TURN POWER OFF AT BREAKER PRIOR TO THIS TEST
Attached Thumbnails
Light Switch Wires Help. Really Confused-mmeter.jpg  
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #21
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 20
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Light Switch Wires Help. Really Confused


Thanks guys. I think i am very close. While opening the wall for the switch for light #2 that is also not working i found a hidden switch stuffed in the wall for light fixture #1 (the one removed with the bare wires). So this explains it was setup with a 3 way afterall.

I want to remove this extra switch that i found in the wall as it was not used, but i did test with ohms each wires and this is what i came up with.



Woohoo! getting close. Not sure if it would be easier to just try to get it working first or remove/cap the extra 3 way light switch that was hidden. Thanks again.
Sandman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,558
Rewards Points: 2,024
Default

Light Switch Wires Help. Really Confused


your diagram makes no sense. How can wire #6(off of the left switch) operate the skylite and lite fixture #2 as you call it. You initially said ,

""The light switch on the left controls a skylight. This is the only location it is turned on or off""

And what in the world is a "hidden switch in a wall"???
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #23
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 20
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Light Switch Wires Help. Really Confused


Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
your diagram makes no sense. How can wire #6(off of the left switch) operate the skylite and lite fixture #2 as you call it. You initially said ,

""The light switch on the left controls a skylight. This is the only location it is turned on or off""

And what in the world is a "hidden switch in a wall"???
The hidden switch is a 2nd 3way switch for light fixture #1. we didnt know it existed until we opened the wall up on the other side of the kitchen. I want to remove this anyways.

To confirm the skylight. I actually did not test it from the skylight itself as there isnt a way for me to get on the roof right now, but i was assuming it uses those wires as those 2 hooked up to it right now are working with it.

I think i might try a test to see if a pigtail was undone. should i pigtails #1 and #6 and then run a 3rd wire to the switch where #6 currently is? i dont want to start a house fire
Sandman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,558
Rewards Points: 2,024
Default

Light Switch Wires Help. Really Confused


You are changing terminology again. In post #14 you said the left switch controlled a skylite and The light switch that was removed on the right controls a simple kitchen light.

Now you are referring to a light fixture #1. What is light fixture #1 in relation to your original descriptions?

If light fixture #1 is the "simple kitchen light" are you now saying that this is part of a 3-way switch circuit. I thought this was asked of you way back when. A picture of the original switch would of helped.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #25
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 20
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Light Switch Wires Help. Really Confused


Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
You are changing terminology again. In post #14 you said the left switch controlled a skylite and The light switch that was removed on the right controls a simple kitchen light.

Now you are referring to a light fixture #1. What is light fixture #1 in relation to your original descriptions?

If light fixture #1 is the "simple kitchen light" are you now saying that this is part of a 3-way switch circuit. I thought this was asked of you way back when. A picture of the original switch would of helped.
Correct sir. Fixture #1 is the simple kitchen light which was on the right side of the picture, now removed.

I updated my statement that it was a 3 way switch as we found a 2nd switch that also controls this same fixture hidden within the wall across the kitchen. (The switch was active, but stuff inside the wall)
Sandman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,558
Rewards Points: 2,024
Default

Light Switch Wires Help. Really Confused


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman22 View Post
I updated my statement that it was a 3 way switch as we found a 2nd switch that also controls this same fixture hidden within the wall across the kitchen.
If that is the case disregard my diagram in post #19.

Provide a photo of the wiring in this "hidden" 3-way switch location.

Do you know how a 3-way switch operates? The function of the traveler terminals and common terminal?
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,558
Rewards Points: 2,024
Default

Light Switch Wires Help. Really Confused


To eliminate a three way you remove the switch and connect the common wire to one of the traveler wires with a wire nut. The other traveler wire gets capped off.

This will in essence be a junction box now and will have to be accessible. You could out a blank cover on it.


hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #28
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 20
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Light Switch Wires Help. Really Confused


Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
If that is the case disregard my diagram in post #19.

Provide a photo of the wiring in this "hidden" 3-way switch location.

Do you know how a 3-way switch operates? The function of the traveler terminals and common terminal?

Here is a photo of the additional switch i pulled out of the wall at another location which also controls light fixture #1

Sandman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,558
Rewards Points: 2,024
Default

Light Switch Wires Help. Really Confused


To eliminate a three way you remove the wires from the switch, get rid of the switch and connect the wire that was attached to the common terminal of the switch to one of the traveler wires with a wire nut. The other traveler wire gets capped off.

The other switch now functions as a single pole switch.

Look at the diagram of the switches I showed. Note on the 3-way one screw terminal is usually black. this is usually the common terminal. The othet two screw terminals are usually gold. these are usually the travelet terminals.

This will in essence be a junction box now and will have to be accessible. You could out a blank cover on it

Last edited by hammerlane; 01-05-2013 at 02:11 PM.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #30
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 20
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Light Switch Wires Help. Really Confused


Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
To eliminate a three way you remove the wires from the switch, get rid of the switch and connect the wire that was attached to the common terminal of the switch to one of the traveler wires with a wire nut. The other traveler wire gets capped off.

The other switch now functions as a single pole switch.

Look at the diagram of the switches I showed. Note on the 3-way one screw terminal is usually black. this is usually the common terminal. The othet two screw terminals are usually gold. these are usually the travelet terminals.

This will in essence be a junction box now and will have to be accessible. You could out a blank cover on it
Perfect. I found the black screw and did this. I also upgraded the diagram with this done. Should i also put wingnuts on Wires #3 and #4? What should i pigtail together within the photo to get power to light fixture #1? thanks so much for your help. After we get this working, i'll paypal you a beer


Sandman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old light switch, only two wires? AustinTexas Electrical 5 07-23-2011 07:38 PM
Ceiling Fan with Light kit - Light not working aadams Electrical 12 11-03-2010 06:32 PM
single light switch with 3 14-2 wires Larry Penny Electrical 2 08-26-2010 04:13 PM
Light switch installation problems pc_clone Electrical 8 11-30-2009 09:25 PM
Wiring from light to switch and on poorjohn Electrical 3 03-16-2009 01:23 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.