DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Light Switch Stopped Working

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  JulieMor 
#1 ·
Suddenly, a light switch in my bathroom stopped working. It shares a junction box with two other light switches, both of which still work. I figured it was a bad switch... replaced it. Didn't fix the problem. So, I tested the wires. They are not hot. Strange!

Description of the wiring for this switch: black wire coming from the wall. It is connected to a switch. There are two more wires that go into a cap... with a wire coming off of it and into the switch.

The other two switches in this box have a separate set of capped black wires.

I removed the caps from the two sets of black wires and capped them together. The wires going into the switch are now hot... but, the switch still does not work.

Any suggestions?

#4 ·
  1. Check the load side of the switch for power. Turn the switch on and off to make sure the switch is working properly and that you are testing the load terminal on the switch.
  2. Remove the non-working light fixture and test the wires in the fixture box. Turn the switch on and off to make sure the switch is doing its thing at the fixture box wires.
Let us know how that goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.