Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2007, 04:05 PM   #1

Share |

Light Switch Mystery

I just recently purchased my home in the Portland, Oregon area. It was built in 1989.

There are several mysterious light switches which I have never seen before and cannot understand how they work. I can not see any manufacturer's name. They are timer switches of some kind. At the bottom is small lever which can be set "off" "manual" or "auto". There is not a typical toggle on/off switch, but a plate with a red led. When the setting is "manual", pressing the plate turns on the lights. When the setting is "off", pressing the plate does not turn on the lights.

The real mystery is the "auto" setting. If you pry up the plate (that you press to turn on the lights) there are 10 slide settings (numbered from 1 to 10). These must control some kind of timing settings, but I have no idea how to control or what they do.

One of these switches controls my outdoor lights. When the setting is "auto" they come on every evening at some (unknown) time and turn off before morning (also unkown time).

Has anyone seen or know anything about these light switches? What is the significance of the 10 sliding switch settings...what do they do/how do they do it?

Thanks

csteinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
They're all fixer-uppers

Light Switch Mystery

I had one, but I traded it in for solar sensors on my outdoor lighting. Either way, its quite useful to have those lights turn on before you come home and quite nice to save the money on electricity by turning off automatically. The sliders as you hypothesized do in fact set the timer. As to how, you probably will have to figure it out intuitivitly, find a make or model number on the switch and look on the net for a manual or post a close up pic and let us try to help you figure it out. Different manufacturers use different methods, its not a universal system. Some slider systems allow you to set day and hour others day, hour and minute, others program for each day of the week.

J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:30 PM   #3

Light Switch Mystery

Thank you for your response. I have searched all over the exterior of the switch (and under the "plate") and can find no manufacturer or model #.

I have searched the web for "light switch timer" and get all sorts of stuff, but nothing like these little 10 slider switch mysteries. I really do need their instruction manual.

I will try and post a photo to see if you can help.

Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:55 PM   #4
They're all fixer-uppers

Light Switch Mystery

Sure, also, pulling it out of the wall and looking on the back may help find a model. Be careful of the electricity though.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:07 AM   #5
Master Electrician

Light Switch Mystery

If you post a photo, one of us might recognize it.
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:35 PM   #6

Light Switch Mystery

If you are still looking at this mesage the 10 sliding switches are "DIP" switches, like the ones on a garage door opener remote. Your switch is a tranmitter or receiver and there is a transmitter or receive on the lights like the garage door opener unit in the garage. One is one the other is the other You need to follow the line to the lights. use a hot wire detector, Lowe's. $15 find the receiver. There you can set the timer to the times that you want the lights to respond.
jdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:58 PM   #7

Light Switch Mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by J187 View Post
Sure, also, pulling it out of the wall and looking on the back may help find a model. Be careful of the electricity though.
OK..I finally got it pulled out and saw it was a Leviton model 6651.

All I can find searching the web describes what it does, BUT not HOW to set it.

Does anyone know how to program this thing?

Thanks,
Craig
Old 06-05-2007, 10:54 AM   #8
They're all fixer-uppers

Light Switch Mystery

I think that one is easy easy. I think its on a 14 hour schedule. There should be 14 dip switches, each representing the next hour. Each dip should have on and off, representing the switch position for that hour. So, dip 1 on, dip 2 on and dip 3 off would mean lights on for the first two hours, then off for the third. I think thats how that one is set up.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:33 AM   #9

Light Switch Mystery

Thanks, but not as simple as that. There are only TEN (10) dip switches, but the description on the Leviton web site says it is a FOURTEEN (14) hour timer.

Just have to figure how to program for 14, using 10 switches!!

Plus, how does it know what time it is? There doesn't seem to be a clock setting.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:26 PM   #10
I have gas!

Light Switch Mystery

http://support.radioshack.com/suppor...oc41/41312.htm
Old 06-06-2007, 01:33 PM   #11

Light Switch Mystery

That is it!!!

You have given me the precise explanation. Now I understand how it works, even though there is no clock time setting.

I really appreciate your help.

Craig