Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2008, 10:32 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Light Socket Won't Hold Light Bulb

Hello. I live in a condo and we have very old light fixtures. I recently tried to add some missing light bulbs and found that the socket wouldn't hold the light bulb because the threads were broken. I guess that's why there were no light bulbs in them. The light bulb lit, but I couldn't screw it in. Is there a product I (condo association) can buy to either wrap the light bulb base with, or plug into the broken socket to fix the fixture or convert the socket from threaded to plug in? The condo association is looking to replace the light fixtures, so this would be a stop gap measure--if there's one to be had. The bulbs are incandescent with a chandelier base.

colhollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:01 AM   #2

colhollywood, The socket needs to be replaced, you cannot repair it. The Orange/Blue home improvement centers stock them. If you bring the fixture with you it will make identifying the needed parts easier. pete

petey_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:21 AM   #3

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately that's just not doable. As an owner, I can't turn the power off in the condo to remove the ceiling fixture, and the condo association won't fix it because it's smarter to do a full-scale light fixture replacement since they date back to 1989 and are showing the same type of problems. Shoot. It's just so tacky--3 bulbs in and 3 bulbs missing.
colhollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:28 AM   #4

Sounds like fixture is in a "commons area". Yes, many socket assembliesfor equal replacement or up-grade to energy star are available. The materials are not expensive...darn right cheap..BUT, fixtures should be in overall very good condition and value to justify labor costs.

Fixture replacement might be the wise thing to do ( labor to replace will be less than the repair). Be sure the new fixtures are rated for the application and sockets supplied are good quality.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote