Light Receptacle Vs. Switch Test Device - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,038
Question

light receptacle vs. switch test device

i need to install some wall and ceiling light boxes before i hang drywall.

before i hang drywall, i want to test and make sure all the wiring is done right.

however, one thing i DO NOT want to do is have to actually connect the lights in that process. why? one simple reason: ceiling and wall fixtures are P.I.A. to keep in place physically while wiring and i don't wanna have to do it more than once, i.e. after the drywall is hung. because, unlike recessed lighting, the box is not attached to the fixture and someone needs to hold the fixture while the wiring is connected, i.e. another pair of hands because you can't leave it suspended by the fixture wires, they won't support the weight of the fixture but, even if they did, it would be inconvenient to splice tight wires.

so what i am looking for is an lighing box test device with a lightbulb or some sort of indicators that you would preferably just plug the wires in (while the circuit is disconnected) and test the switch and that is light enough that it can be suspended without wiring into the wall.

i hope you are getting my point. i just installed a box for the vanity light in my bathroom and i had to clamp the light to the stud to hold it in place and then wire it together to test that the light and switch are connected properly. i don't like the system because the fixture wires are hardwired to the housing. there are fixtures that are better designed that have a light socket that gets wired separately and then the heavy fixture just gets plugged into it. one example are Broan ceiling fans, beautifully designed. but most lights are not like that, i.e. are hardwired to the housing, which i consider downright stupid design

Advertisement

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

1) buy a cheap white, plastic "keyless" fixture, wire it with a hunk of romex (ignore the ground in the romex), and spice your fancy testing device to the wires at your switch boxes

2) use a volt meter or "tic tester"

Advertisement

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (03-23-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #3

Wink

sounds like a plan. thanks
Old 03-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

I should have said

"and spice your fancy testing device to the wires at your switched boxes"
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #5

also, why not just wire a power outlet in every box temporarily for testing and plug something in before flipping the circuit on, to avoid getting in contact with hot screws on the side
Old 03-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,818

Try one of the Leviton #55

http://www.google.com/search?q=pigta...w=1153&bih=580

Advertisement